Community college offers students a second option  

Mya Hutchinson, Staff Writer

Students as they walk to their classes on the Royal Oak Campus. (https://www.oaklandcc.edu/)

“The average cost of attendance for a student living on campus at a public 4-year in-state institution is $25,707 per year or $102,828 over 4 years. Out-of-state students pay $44,014 per year or $176,056 over 4 years” (Education Data). If these numbers seem insanely overwhelming, you are not alone.

Many people have resorted to a second option that allows for saving money while still going through the college process. As college fees begin to increase, community college becomes a better option for people looking to save money.

The average yearly cost for students attending community college in their state is around $5,000, and around $8,000 out of state. Many students enrolled in community college plan to transfer to a larger university after earning their associate’s degree.

“The first year of college is dedicated toward taking prerequisites,” OCC Freshman Faith Scarcelli said. “These classes at community colleges are basically the exact same classes and give the same credit for cheaper.” This is a great option for those who are looking to reduce their student debt and save money.

Aside from the financial benefits, there are still many other positives to community colleges, including more flexibility to a student’s daily schedule. Students can also live at home and take certain classes online. The class sizes at most community colleges are a lot smaller than bigger colleges, allowing more discussion during class time.

Attending a community college also offers more time for students to strengthen their academic records if they were not as strong as desired in high school. Credits from courses taken at community colleges can usually be transferred to most universities, so students can finish their degrees at larger schools.

The transfer process can be confusing, but thankfully there are many resources available to aid with the process. For many Milford students, Oakland Community College (OCC) is the closest community college option. When transferring from OCC to another school, the transfer school determines which classes will be accepted and the equivalent courses that would be satisfied.  An OCC counselor can be helpful to discuss transfer credits and planning to be sure they stay on track for their degree.

“Students may find the Michigan Transfer Network to be a useful source of information. In addition, transferring students are strongly encouraged to explore transfer opportunities that exist with transfer credit agreements between OCC and many four-year colleges and universities” (OCC Admissions).

Scarcelli explained, “Something very important to watch out for as a transfer student in general, is making sure you’re taking credits that are going to be able to transfer over.” Every school is different, so making sure that the classes you take in community college will count at whatever school you transfer to is very important.

Most schools have pages online that can provide helpful information about which classes to take so all the credits transfer. For example, MSU’s transfer page, https://transfer.msu.edu/ simplifies the process of checking the transferability of the course.

MiTransfer Pathways is helpful among Michigan colleges and universities. The objective of the MiTransfer Pathway is to make the overall transfer experience more efficient and easier to navigate. Courses students may complete at a community college during their first and second year which will transfer smoothly to the corresponding bachelor degree program at all participating universities. For an easier process, it’s recommended to complete the Michigan Transfer Agreement.

Once the university is chosen, submit an application by the deadline and pay for any application fees. It’s best to seek guidance from a counselor to make sure everything is on track for graduation.

Next, it is important to send the university a copy of your official transcript to see which courses will be accepted. Speak with a representative from the college or university you are planning on attending to see how your transfer credit will be applied.

There are many options to choose from after graduating high school. Students who pursue a community college may choose to do so for multiple reasons. The lower cost and increased flexibility are important factors in deciding the path that a student chooses to follow for their future. With guidance from the multitude of resources, the transfer process can be easy, stress-free, and a great option for many students.