Freshmen football team improves during tough season

Michael Stevenson, Sports Editor

It is the thing that all teams and fans dread. Some teams can avoid doing a lot of it, while others face it constantly. This can make grown men cry. This horrible thing that causes pain for every person who loves their team is losing.

In almost every sport, there is a clear cut winner in a game. And then there is the group of players on the other side. This season the Milford freshmen football team has not been getting a lot of wins. In fact, they only finished the season with one win, but had some close losses despite having many fewer players than most teams they faced.

After not being able to field a freshmen team last year because not enough players came out, the Mavs had 21 players this year. With injuries during the season, that meant that most players had to be on the field for most of the game.  Other teams they faced typically had 30-40 players and those teams would get much more rest for their starters. 

“We haven’t been doing well for our record, but we have been trying our best,” said freshman football safety and running back Mike Smith.

Success can not always be based entirely on a team’s record in high school sports.

“It’s fun to play football (and) it is fun to be part of a family even though we are not winning,” said freshman football receiver and linebacker Dylan Riggs who has played football for many years. 

Even though the team has not been winning, they still have a positive attitude about their season.

“It’s fun- I have a lot of friends on this team. (They) are funny and nice. They make it a great football experience for me to have,” said freshman football wide receiver and corner Spencer O’Neil

Riggs, Smith and O’Neil all believe the players can build off this season and improve for next year. 

“The effort and talent is there. (We) need more people to play,” said Smith. 

O’Neil said the team can improve both physically and mentally and get more wins next year.

“The energy level and getting hyped before each game needs to be improved,” said O’Neil. “We need to work on tackling and blocking as a whole-not just the line.” 

The team’s head coach Dana Fitrakis brought a light and fun atmosphere to the field and the players enjoyed it.

¨I like (Fitrakis). He brings different fire to our team (and) he made us super hyped.¨ said Riggs.

Fitrakis, who is a former police officer, tells his players a lot of stories from his life.

¨I like him because he has an interesting life and tries to connect with us. He also taught me how to block the right way,¨ said O’Neil.

Smith agreed. ¨I love our new coach. He’s a funny, extremely enthusiastic, a great guy and good football coach,¨ said Smith.

With the end of the year, many of the players will now begin training in the weight room for the JV team next year. This team may not have had a lot of wins, but players are optimistic towards next year.