Ohio State Michigan rivalry ignites

Mike Smith, Staff Writer

The greatest rivalry college football returned in 2016 for a double overtime thriller that was the most watched college football game this season. The Ohio State Buckeyes have beaten the Michigan Wolverines five straight years now but Michigan holds the lead in the rivalry at 58 wins 48 losses and 6 ties.

A Michigan-OSU game hasn’t meant this much in a decade and it hasn’t been this crazy ever, the first overtime game in the rivalry’s history went into a double overtime thriller but ended in the favor of the Buckeyes.

Many criticisms of that game fall on the refs. A plethora of missed calls and bad officiating have popped up on social media and Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh voiced his displeasure of the officials in the after game press conference.

¨I thought the refs were biased for Ohio State,” said sophomore Malachi Thompson, ¨Michigan had a steady run game and their pass game got progressively better.¨

The UofM OSU rivalry is very heated and each side watches the game differently,

¨ Yes it was a first down look at the aerial view,” said sophomore Spencer O´neil. But  with a hate for both teams sophomore Dylan Riggs looks at the game differently

“I don’t think the refs were bad,¨ Riggs said “ Michigan had too many turnovers in crucial spots, Ohio State played better overall, but it was an exciting game and one of the better games I’ve seen.”

The game was indeed exciting as Michigan held a 3 point lead going into the half and went into overtime, after the OSU kicker missed two field goals,  tied at 17. After OSU scored on their first offensive possession, Michigan’s offense came out and struggled but had a clutch touchdown catch from Amara Darboh on 4th down. It wasn’t until the second OSU offensive drive that things got crazy.

The Buckeyes needed a field goal to tie and a touchdown to win after a Michigan field goal on their 2nd offensive drive. After a slow drive OSU needed 1 yard to get the first with the ball at the 16. Buckeyes quarterback J.T Barrett scrambled for the first and collided with Michigan safety Delano Hill and Buckeye offensive lineman to get past the first down marker. But was it really a first down? After review the call stood and OSU went and scored the game winning touchdown the play after on a 15 yard touchdown run by Curtis Samuel.

“It could have gone either way, but it was a first down,” said Riggs. That play will be talked about for a long time in the rivalry as it is the closest call in one of the biggest games in college football history. OSU went on to win the game 30 to 27 and knock Michigan out of the college football playoffs.