Seniors learn outside the classroom through job shadowing

Benjamin Walsh, Staff Writer

With the Senior Composition class required to graduate, most seniors are always complaining about having to go up and give a speech in front of their whole class every single day, but the class doesn’t seem to be just filled with awkward tension and extreme anxiety, according to Senior Jake Asher.

“The first week and maybe the second are the worst, but then you realize that these speeches are going to be a constant no matter what, so I might as well just push it out of my mind,” Asher said.

Asher said his favorite speech was the job shadow speech because of the real-life experience he got out of the job shadow.

After asking a few students what the class is like, mostly all of them described it as “not that bad” because the speech topics tend to change into being more entertaining discussions than they are speeches.

For Senior AJ Miller’s job shadow, he accompanied a school physical education teacher for a few hours.

“It was fun to see what teachers go through during the day while we go throughout our day switching classes every hour,” said Miller.

Other members of the class job shadowed outside of school like Ryan Yax, who went to a refrigeration company to shadow the factory owner. “Being able to miss a few hours of school to go and observe someone while they were doing their job was an entertaining experience,” said Yax.

The job shadow assignment is a very creative way to give students a few hours of what life is like after they are done building their educations. There are are many teachers who instruct this class. English Teacher Joe Laginess said that he always looks forward to hearing about students’ experiences for their job shadows.

“I’ve seen students go out of the way to do this project and I believe they have a good time doing it and are gaining a good life experience from seeing how the real world works,” said Laginess.