A Desensitized Generation

Karen Danner, Staff Writer

If you consider how we, as a generation, react to mass shootings and realize that most of the time there isn’t a reaction unless multiple people die.

It’s pathetic how often a mass shooting or any other type of shooting happen. As a generation, we’re able to turn a blind eye and pretend that it didn’t, while the families of those who were affected, grieve.

One of the more commonly known shootings occurred in Newtown, Conn. at Sandy Hook Elementary. At the time of the shooting, everyone was shocked and almost unwilling to believe that someone would go to an elementary school and kill both students and staff.

However as the months passed by and reporters continued to dwell on it, most of us got to the point where they were tired of hearing about it. My personal reaction, after four months, was “it’s sad that it happened, tragic even, but come on, it’s time to move on”.

It seems that shootings are becoming so common nowadays and as if it shouldn’t be such a surprise when they do, which is just plain wrong. Every life matters – a man or woman, an African American, Asian, Hispanic, young and old – all lives matter. But we’ve become so used to it that the only ones that really get attention are “religious” shootings (targeting a specific religion) or when (little) kids are involved.

The fact that it’s becoming socially acceptable – there’s just something wrong with that. Yes, they happen, but it shouldn’t be so often that we don’t care anymore.

As a reaction to changing gun laws…. In all honesty, there isn’t a point. If someone wants a gun, they’ll find a way to get one. I believe that background checks should be more thorough but at the same time if someone wants one bad enough, they’ll find a way to get one. And what of the “gun free” zones? The only thing that screams to me is “we can’t protect ourselves” which is just like saying “we’re a target”. Why not allow teachers and staff to carry guns? Even if it’s left in their desk, they’d have a chance.