Basic Car Care… for Everyone

Karen Danner, Staff Writer

Let’s face it, at one point or another, we all drive a car at one point. But how many of us actually know how to take care of any problems that arise? The answer is not nearly as many people as there should be.

Milford offers four different classes for students to take, the first of which being Basic Car Care. A beginner’s class for students who want to know more about taking care of a vehicle.

“We’ve designed the class to be equal for both genders so that girls that own, drive or are interested in learning more about cars, aren’t intimidated by the class,” said Eric Hincka, one of the auto teachers.

On average, each basic class is half girls and half boys, but as the class level goes up from basic to advanced the ratio changes dramatically from half girls to one girl for every fourteen boys.

“The class is probably more based for the female personality. Our goal is to provide everyone with some level of knowledge. If someone drives a car then they should know how to fix any problems that might arise.” Hincka added.

It isn’t that girls are necessarily discouraged from joining the class, it’s that they simply don’t want to get “down and dirty” and they don’t know if their friends are taking the class. “On the days that I want to look cute I remember that there’s a chance we’ll be working with the cars instead of doing book work or listening to a lecture,” said senior, Anna Husic.