Milford leadership students take to the treetops

Miles Morris, Events Manager

“This experience was great. I had so much fun, and I pushed myself way out of my comfort zone,” Junior Nic Glazer said with a laugh.

Glazer was one of several Milford Leadership students who took to the trees on Monday, Oct. 17th. During the day, the students participated in team-building activities and took on several different high rope courses of varying difficulty.

“When we arrived, there were a lot of people there from all different schools. So they split us into two groups,” Glazer explained. “One of the groups started on the ropes and the other started with the team activities. Then we all finished with a partner activity.”

The students formed new bonds and connections through this experience, and that was the overall goal.

“We really wanted the students to connect with people from other schools,” stated David Gilbert, the teacher of the leadership class. “We wanted them to share ideas.”

This is one of many events that leadership students attend throughout the year.

“There are around 6 or 7 of these meetings a year,” explained Gilbert. “There’s a charity event in December, a banquet in April. We’re constantly doing stuff like this. I absolutely want to bring more students to this in the future.”

Only 4 students were able to attend this year, but Gilbert said he will be looking into having the entire Leadership class attend.

“If it happens again, I would love to go again. It was a lot of fun and it really did challenge me in ways I wasn’t expecting,” said Glazer. “More experience is never a bad thing.”

Looking towards the future, it seems many more students will be able to conquer their own fear of heights when they take on the high ropes

“This is all about overcoming fears and connecting with new people. The more people I can bring along, the better.” Gilbert said.