Thanksgiving traditions from 1621 continue today

A Thanksgiving turkey after stuffing his tummy with food.

DevianArt

Shelby Pryjomski, Photo Manager

In 1621,  53 Pilgrims and 90 Native Americans gathered for the first Thanksgiving. Now in 2016, Thanksgiving is still a time to gather with loved ones and share great food.

Thanksgiving has been a celebratory time for decades now for families and loved ones. According to National Geographic, The Puritans gathered many supplies to get ready for the winter ahead of them, including Wampan-

The celebratory feast in 1621.
Fanpop
The celebratory feast in 1621.

oag supplies. On a cold fall day, Squanto, leader of the Abenaki tribe, visited the settlers. Squanto was a Wampanoag and he was the one who knew English. Squanto helped the new settlers to grow crops and fertilize their crops. The natives and also the settlers made an agreement to protect each other from other tribes in March 1621. Then in the fall of 1621 they all gathered crops they had grown and hunted for deer meat. They then all had a feast! Along with this feast, they said many prayers.

Just like 1621, many families will say prayers today too. Many take the holiday to greet family members they do not see on a daily basis. Most families have a special way they celebrate the holiday. 

Some people are more excited for the food than the family though!

¨Eating the turkey is by far what I look forward to the most,¨ student Hannah Scott said. She then also said, ¨I, of course, love seeing extended family too. One thing I love doing is getting to eat a ton of food on Thanksgiving day.¨

Some families will take the time to remember loved ones they have lost on this holiday season as well. ¨I lost my mom about two years ago, so it is a hard time for me during the holidays. I see all the family gathering and it is very heartbreaking to not see my mom around the table with the rest of the family,¨ mother Sandy Pryjomski said. This holiday is not just a time to love who is around you, but it is a great time to remember the ones you lost and will always love.

Of course, one favorite thing about Thanksgiving is getting to visit family, and not just family member that live out of state, but even ones that live near. ¨We all get together at my grandma’s house and we all have a really good time just being able to see each other,¨ student Hunter Long said.

After the gathering and the food, what is next? For some people it could be sleep, or a walk, or even games!

¨For me, I really like playing ping-pong with my family after we eat,¨ Scott said. Many families watch holiday movies, or a big one, sleep! ¨

After my family and I finish eating we all go and get our Christmas tree. It is nice because we are all full from food and we go for a walk and pick out a tree,¨ Pryjomski said.

A traditional current Thanksgiving dinner.
Betty Crocker

Whether it be 1621, or 2016 it seems that the Thanksgiving spirits will always be the same. It is all about taking the time to be thankful for what you have, and of course food.