Milford students’ favorite electives

The Milford High School logo (Courtesy of hvs.org).

Lily Glowzinski, Staff Writer

For some students, choosing electives can be overwhelming due to the large number and varied academic disciplines and focus points.  From traditional courses such as Honors English classes or Advanced Placement (AP) math classes to more unique classes, such as cybersecurity, pottery, or even basic car care classes, Milford effectively engages many of its students by including instruction that would benefit students going into most career fields. . These elective choices can be found in the ‘course description book’ under the ‘academics’ tab on the Milford High School website.

Milford offers three language options of varying levels, many of which have become some of the student’s favorite electives. Included in these options are American Sign Language (ASL), German and Spanish. Seniors Danielle Borst and Jessica Henning have each taken three years of Milford’s German course, taught by Rich Kynast. “I really enjoyed having Herr [Mr] Kynast, and he genuinely enjoyed teaching us,” Henning said. “I learned how to interact with people older than me,” Borst added. Similarly, Addison Scigliano, a freshman, says her favorite elective at Milford has been Spanish II, taught by Profe. (Carrie Pishek). Two years of a language course is required for students to graduate, but that doesn’t stop many students from falling in love with the elective and taking it all four years. 

In addition to the required courses of language classes, Milford also offers classes that help students with life skills. . Among these classes is Introduction to Construction Tech taught by Eric Hincka. This class involves woodworking, framework, working with electricity, and other things. This has quickly become Junior Alexander Martin’s favorite elective along with  choir, taught by Ms. Miller. “I’m learning a lot of new skills that could be particularly useful for the future,” Martin said. 

For students who want to be more involved in the school, Leadership, taught by David Gilbert, might be a good fit if they are make it through the admissions process.  This is one of Junior Ava Scigliano’s favorites. Grace Priebe, a Milford Sophomore, shares this love for Milford’s Leadership class. “Not only is it a fun and relaxing class, but I also get to learn useful life skills,” Priebe exclaimed. “You get to be really involved in school and get to plan fun events.” 

A common favorite among Milford students is AP Psychology, a year-long elective taught by Emma Flynn. “A lot of the topics discussed are genuinely interesting to me,” Senior Anthony Strominger stated. AP Psychology deals with many topics, focusing on the psychology of the brain and behavior. “I love AP Psych because of Ms. Flynn’s fun environment,” Scigliano added. 

Milford’s varied electives also help many students determine hobbies and career goals. Senior Chloe Ogurek said that Forensic Science, taught by Kathleen Simmermon, has been her favorite elective. “It’s actually interesting!” Ogurek added. Forensics is a class about understanding the tasks a forensic scientist would have to perform, such as analyzing footprints or crime scenes. 

Another class that Milford has to offer is Play Production, taught by Meaghan Weeks. This is in the top two favorite classes for Kate Freed. “There’s a lot of chances to be creative and still have fun earning your grades,” Freed said. 

Milford’s wide range of classes can make choosing future elective choices difficult, but students can look forward to the exciting new experiences brought about by these classes. From falling in love with a new language to finding new hobbies, Milford has something to appeal to the majority of its students.