DECA Impresses at business skills competition

Left Lily Shaw Right Taryn Marshall at state competition

Emma Collison, Staff Writer

With a 75-year history, DE-CA has impacted the lives of more than 10 million students, educators, school administrators and business professionals since its founding in 1946. However, many Milford students don’t even know what these four letters mean. DECA stands for Distributive Education Clubs of America. It is an association of marketing students that encourages the development of business and leadership skills through academic conferences and competitions. Business teacher Kaye Sommer is the club organizer and has been in charge of DECA for many years. Every year the club grows from eager new members and its prominence at MHS and beyond is constantly improving. . The only requirement to join the DE-CA team is to take a marketing or business class for one semester to be eligible. However, students must take a business or marketing class each year to remain in the program.
DECA is a program that prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in mar-keting, finance, hospitality, and management in high schools and colleges around the world. But it’s also so much more. DECA could be thought of as practical because it teaches students so much that they need for the world and helps students make business and personal connections. “DECA has shown me how to prepare for a job interview, how to think on my feet and problem solve under pressure,” said Senior Ian Gibson, who is DECA President this year. Stu-dents said the skills they learn from DECA truly stay with them for life. Whether or not one decides to go into a business or marketing major, these skills are valuable for any career field be-cause of the real-world experiences.
On Dec. 17, 2021, the Mil-ford DECA Team traveled to Lawrence Tech University to show off marketing and business skills. They competed against other DECA teams in the district. Gibson competed in the Automotive Services Marketing Competition and placed 2nd overall in District 6 with a combined role play and test score of 264. “I wouldn’t have joined Milford DECA if it wasn’t for Mrs. Sommer; she really encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and check out the business world,” Gibson stated. Although Milford DECA isn’t talked about that of-ten, a push from teachers or peers is enough to get involved. Senior Taryn Marshall, (a member since her freshman year) competed in the Travel and Tourism Role Play with her partner Lily Shaw. “Our role play went alright, but our test scores were great which got us a spot at the state finals,” Marshall said. Both Marshall and Gibson look forward to competing at the DECA State Finals this March, best of luck Mavs!