Milford Track and Field returns strong this season

Jerry Rea

The Milford girls finished their regular season at 8-0, and on May 15 they took home the LVC championship title (Photo courtesy of @MilfordTandF on Twitter).

Ben Coloske, Staff Writer

May is almost over, and spring sports are coming to an end.
After being titled LVC Champions in 2019, Milford’s track and field team was looking to do the same in 2020. Sadly, track and field was unfortunately canceled last year due to COVID-19, which is why many Milford students have been more eager than ever to get back on the track.
This year, Milford track was able to have their first practice on March 22. Using their adrenaline of finally being able to race, Mil-ford’s boys and girls teams both visited Walled Lake Western and defeated them along with South Lyon East to start off the season 1-0. At practice, the team is looking strong and determined to set PR’s, and win races. Milford Track is ready to roll.
Marshall Cross Country commit and track distance runner Kaz Bowring has had great anticipation for the season. “Our team has been very excited to continue competing in the LVC this year as we have been waiting two years to get to this point,” Bowring explained. “This has only affected our performance as we didn’t get to compete and compare our athletes to those around the state last year.”
Since the team was unable to compete last year, along with the rest of the state, athletes are unable to exactly know what time they need to win a race and how competitive another school will be.
While losing an entire season is never a positive, it has served as fuel for this year. Senior shot putter Chance Scarcelli ex-claimed, “Seeing that the team was unable to have a season like the rest of our sports, it’s been really exciting to be able to come back and compete for my last season! We’re all really excited, especially coming off of our first win of the season for both boys and girls. The excitement has definitely carried over to my performance as I’m throwing what I used to PR on the regular now.”
Milford’s second meet scheduled on April 19 against rival Lakeland High School and Walled Lake Northern was unfortunately postponed due to weather conditions, but still was able to happen the following month, where Milford took the win.
This year, the Milford’s girls track team went 8-0 in the LVC, and took home the LVC trophy on May 15. Sophomore Grace Harkenrider was the 800 champion, and Sophomores Josie Dun-can, Audrey Verkerkee, and Brooklyn Wolcott placed 1st in the 4×400 relay. The boys went 7-1 this year, losing to the undefeated Walled Lake Central. They also were the runner-up at the LVC conference meet, with top performances from Easton Williams in the 3200 run; Shane Siterlet, Ryan O’Rourke, Jon Ouellette, and Kaz Bowring in the 4×800 relay and Nolan Preis, Vic-tor Smith, Ian Gibson and Bran-don Gibson in the 4×200 relay.
The team’s next meet will be the MHSAA Regional Meet on May 21. This meet is special because this is the track meet where a competitor could potentially qualify for the state meet by placing 1st. This is a remarkable accomplishment since States is the 2nd biggest meet in track. Athletes from across the state come to race each other at the state meet, and the best runners go down as state champions. The regional meet is where runners, jumpers, and throwers have to perform in order to extend their sea-son, and get the opportunity to run at an All-State level.
Milford Track & Field is ready to go, and the team is ready to compete at the highest level possible. The LVC title and LVC run-ner-up is a big momentum push for them, and they are eager to go at it at Regionals.