Will there be a Milford fishing team?

Jake Mrofchak, Staff Writer

The idea of high school fishing teams in recent years has gained a lot of popularity. High schools such as Lakeland, Walled Lake Central, and Brighton have started a fishing team or club. Chatter about starting one of these teams at Milford High has been going on recently.

Students at Milford High School, such as Logan Sapienza, firmly believe that there will be a fishing team by this Spring.

Along with Sapienza, some of Milford’s juniors, Drew Hayes, Ronnie Savage, Colin Swanson, Nick Oslin and many more agree that they would love to be on a fishing team for Milford High.

Sapienza, Hayes, Savage, and Swanson have all expressed what they love about fishing is that, “it’s mainly the feeling of a hog of a fish biting you’re hook, fighting to reel in that bad Jackson and get it into the boat.” Another reason people like the sport is the fact that pretty much anyone can fish and be successful in doing so.

All of the people who have said that they would want to compete on the team seem to be very skilled, just like Savage, who has “caught a monster 35-inch Pike” in Northern Michigan over labor day weekend. Along with Sapienza, who caught a very nice sized pike on the Huron River last month.

Jake Mrofchak holding a 4lb bass (photo by Preston Paisley)

Milford is the perfect area to start a fishing team, since there is an abundance of public lakes, rivers and ponds that anyone can fish on.

Loger Sapienza reeling in a pike (photo by Finn Wilson)

For example, just in Savage’s backyard is a small lake that seems like it is filled to the brim with bass of all sizes. On that lake alone, almost anyone can catch a decent-sized fish, ranging from one to nine pounds.

Right across the street from Marlene St. is the Huron River Dam, which has fish ranging from Bluegill to Muskie. These fish bite on anything from lures to a good old-fashioned earthworm. If you need any advice about what lures fish at the Huron River Dam bite on you can ask Sapienza, who uses lures to fish ranging in price from $1 to $25.

Sports at a high school can bring a lot of positive attention to it, especially ones that involve the outdoors and that teach kids life long skills. These things add up to drawing in more students to the area which not only helps the school but the community.

Nick Oslin and Reggie Savage holding a 1lb bass (photo by Nick Oslin)

You might ask where would we get money for the team boat or rods for people that can’t afford them? One of the main people trying to start a team Sapienza, had said that he has considered that “most people who would join the team have the boats, trailers and car/trucks necessary for a team”. Although they did add how they would need to “raise money for a team boat, coaches, tournament feesand other things.”

Savage, Oslin, Sapienza and myself are all planning on gathering all the necessary things for a team, such as; a boat, rods, lures, team shirts, etc.

One of Milford High school’s legendary track and field coaches Mr. Hincka has added “one of the many ways the track and field team has raised money is by selling things like candy bars or coupons for local businesses.”

Colin Swanson with a 1lb Bass (Photo by Jake Mrofchak)

One of the ways your high school can start a team according to MichiganBassNation.com and MichiganBass.net is by registering themselves to The Michigan B.A.S.S Nation High School Division.

Nick Oslin holding a Mahi Mahi Fish (photo by John Oslin)
Reggie Savage holding a 2.5lb Large Mouth Bass (photo by Mitzi Savage)

In 2014 The Michigan B.A.S.S Nation had restarted our states youth fishing division which gives an amazing opportunity for kids and young adults to compete against each other, learn new things about the sport and improve their skills.

Nick Oslin holding a 4.5lb Large Mouth Bass (photo by Marcus Hayes)

One thing that a lot of people don’t know is that just like any other sport you can receive thousands of dollars in scholarships by winning competitions between different fishing teams. For example this November 5th, B.A.S.S and Alabama Powers will be awarding two people in a B.A.S.S high school club a $5,000 scholarship. any students are really hoping and looking forward to a fishing team such as Reggie Savage who has said, “I can’t wait to reel in hogs on the daily.”