What does the Future hold for MSU?

Rachel Thompson, Staff Writer

Larry Nassar listening to his victims testimonies. Photo courtesy of Lansing State Journal.

Trust. It’s one of the key things for survival, and he broke that for them.

Larry Nassar: Michigan State University’s osteopathic physician, USA gymnastics national team doctor, and now a convicted serial child molester.

Allegations began in 1998 when a student-athlete reported concerns about Nassar, but the university failed to take action.

He was reported again in 2000, but similar to the previous incident, they were ignored. And then in 2014, a recent graduate complained about him sexually assaulting her. Three months after this report, he was cleared of his malpractices by the University.

For two decades, Nassar, had used “treatments” to help ease the pain of different types of injuries of these young girls. In order to help lower back pain, vaginal penetration can be a seen as a form of treatment in the medical world as they are able to push back on the spine, but even then, it is really only used in rare circumstances. In order to go through with this procedure, the doctor must wear gloves, receive consent from the patient as well as their parent, along with having a chaperone in the room; none of which Nassar did.

It all started in August of 2016. Former gymnast, Rachael Denhollander, wrote an article in the IndyStar reporting allegations against Nassar sexually assaulting her during his treatments. The FBI investigated his treatments but found nothing substantial due to the fact that they were medical.

A year and a half later, more than 150 girls come out with similar stories of Nassar being inappropriate with them when they were younger. Some of these women are still being billed for their visit to the convicted child molester.

Judge Rosemarie Aquilina was the appointed judge for this trial. She allowed for each of the willing victims to step forward and speak to their abuser inside the courtroom.

“Imagine feeling like you have no power and no voice. Well you know what, Larry? I have both power and voice and I am only beginning to just use them,” American gymnast and United States Olympian, Aly Raisman spoke to Nassar as one of his victims. During her speech, she not only reminded him of the harm he has put onto others, but she also stated how her love for the sport is bigger than his evil that has resided with it.

Even some of the parents spoke, expressing how painful it was for them to find out that a trusted doctor betrayed them and their children. Such as Randall Margraves, father of three victims of Nassar’s actions.

He asked Judge Aquilina for five minutes alone with the criminal sitting before him, and when it wasn’t granted to him, he lunged toward the abuser. No charges were pressed as Aquilina understood the pain Margraves has endured.

“I have signed your death warrant,” Aquilina revealed to Nassar as she announced his sentencing of 175 years in federal prison.

Since the trial, Lou Anna Simon, President of Michigan State University, has resigned from her position. Following her resignation, the entire Board of Trustees should be restaffed because quite frankly, they aren’t so trustworthy.

There are eight members that are elected by Michigan voters and they have general supervision over the University. But if they aren’t supervising the reports of the students after 18 years against one of their employees, what are they supervising?

Along with a new staff should come new rules, to ensure that nothing like these assaults will ever happen again. Students need to feel safe when they are away from home, and this incident has ruined that for many of the current and future students.