Student athletes hope to continue college careers

+Sam+Lewis+during+the+Waterford+Mott+game+attempting+a+lay-up+last+season+%282022%29+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Jerry+Rea+Photography%29.%0A

Sam Lewis during the Waterford Mott game attempting a lay-up last season (2022) (Photo courtesy of Jerry Rea Photography).

Leah Fitzgerald, Staff Writer

Milford High School’s athletic programs are home to some very talented student-athletes.

Most student-athletes put in countless hours during practice on top of hours spent studying and completing homework, ensuring that they keep consistent passing grades in order to be eligible to play their sport. The amount of effort these students put into their sports and academics stands out when applying or looking to play athletics in college. The students who obtain the most college interest tend to be seniors, however there are some underclassmen that already have interest in going through the recruiting process.

MHS basketball star Sam Lewis has gained a lot of college interest due to the impressive points he puts up on the scoreboard. “I still haven’t decided where I am going to college yet. I’ve taken a more laid-back approach to the whole recruiting process and I’m planning on playing at least some of my senior season before I make the big decision,” he said. Although Lewis has not committed to any school at the moment, he has scholarship offers from schools such as Spring Arbor University, Trine University and Calvin University. Lewis is excited to live out his basketball dreams but believes that there is nothing like Milford Basketball.

Ashley Murray’s commitment post to Hope college to continue her volleyball dreams (Photo courtesy of Ashley Murray).

Just like Lewis, Ashley Murray is a proud member of the class of 2023. Murray has starred on the volleyball court, and on Sept. 2, she committed to Hope College in Holland, Michigan to continue her volleyball and academic journey. “I’m most excited to see how much

I continue to grow as an athlete and as a person while playing at Hope,” Murray stated. “The culture that they have there only pushes me to believe that at Hope I’ll be able to become the best version of myself as a student-athlete.”

Senior Jacie Remtema has run her way right into the eyes of several colleges as well. Remtema started running in middle school but became serious about continuing at the next level after her freshman year of high school. Remtema has not committed to a university yet, however she hopes to attend a small, Christian university to continue her athletic and academic career. “So far I have been talking to Taylor University, Calvin University and Cornerstone

Jacie Remtema running for Milford Varsity Girls Cross Country (Photo courtesy of Fred Schwendenmann).

University,” Remtema said. She hopes that her decision will most likely come from one of the schools that are already interested.

Some students have been so successful on the field that even as juniors they are being highly recruited.

Junior Wyatt Lesnew is currently part of the top five ranking of High School athletes in Michigan for most defensive tackles. During his sophomore year, he broke several school records at Milford and, although not a senior yet, a lot of colleges are taking note and writing down Lesnew’s name as a potential college-level defensive star. Not only does Lesnew shine on the football field, but his passion and athleticism also are seen on the soccer field, wrestling mat and track. Lesnew has gained a lot of attraction from many different schools, but his dream is to play and join the community at Central Michigan.

These are a small sample of the outstanding student-athletes here at Milford High School, who are catching the eye of colleges across the country. We are very fortunate to have such a strong athletic program that also has a heavy focus on academics, to ensure that not only do the athletes thrive in their sport but in their futures as well.

Wyatt Lesnew during the Walled Lake Northern game before a defensive play (Photo courtesy of Jerry Rea Photography).