Golfers “swing” their way into record season

Milford Girls Golf Facebook

The team placed third at the Lapeer Lightning Tune-up, with Lizzie Thornton and Ava Moore medaling.

Caroline Colt, Assistant Editor

The hum of golf carts and the chatter of coaches can be heard throughout Mystic Creek Golf course. A group of girls huddle in a circle, excited and anxious, anticipating the next two hours of their lives. A cheer goes up as the girls yell, “One, two, three MAVS!!” And with that, they are off.

The 2022 Milford Girls Golf team has had arguably the greatest golf season in the history of Milford. With a group of six girls who can consistently shoot in the 40s and 30s, the team was automatically set up for success.

“This was the most talented team I have coached,” varsity coach Brent Pearson said. “We’ve improved from last year in almost every tournament we have entered.”

Milford had a strong showing at tournaments, placing second at the Jim Sander Memorial, third at the Hartland Varsity Invite and 2nd at the Lapeer Lightning Tune-up. While the girls came up short in Regionals, they finished the season ranked 8th in Division I.

In the Lakes Valley Conference, the girls placed second behind South Lyon, who is one of their closest rivals. “South Lyon has a tremendous golf program and they have never really faced a team that could challenge them since the LVC was created,” Pearson said.

However, at the postseason tournament, Milford tied the undefeated South Lyon with a score of 385 to 385, but ended up losing in a tiebreaker. There is no doubt, however, that this loss only cemented the team as one of the top schools in the state. “It was exciting and heartbreaking at the same time, but it showed our hard work,” Senior Lizzie Thornton said.

Milford’s team consists of many talented individuals who have contributed to their success. Varsity Seniors Ava Moore and Caroline Colt held the top two spots for the entirety of the season. Junior Kaylin Duffe, Thornton and Sophomore Taegan Skatzka also played critical positions on the team. Duffe, Skatzka and Thornton “were very consistent in taking turns to help deliver the top four scores that are needed,” Pearson said. Moore, Colt, Duffe and Skatzka were also rewarded LVC All-Conference for their dedication and hard work throughout the season. In addition, Moore drained her second hole-in-one during the Jim Sander memorial in late August. Moore will also continue the season individually at the D-1 state tournament on Oct. 14 and 15, which she has attended previously two other times.

Milford’s junior varsity team was led by freshman Elsa Yount and junior Ellie DeYoung. Both scored impressively at tournaments with Yount placing in the top 10 at the post-season tournament. Next year, Milford will be losing nine of its seniors, all of whom contribute to scores for the team.

“It will be very sad because they were the ones who welcomed me when I was a freshman,” Skatzka “They make up a big part of the team.”

As the Seniors depart, Milford will look not only to Yount and DeYoung, but also to junior Paige Whitney, Duffe and Skatzka to continue the legacy that this team has built. 
This golf season was one for the records and it will never be forgotten. For all of the fun times, rough losses and happy memories, this group of girls banded together to become an unstoppable team.

“This was the best possible way I could think of having my last season,” Thornton said. “We worked incredibly hard and from that hard work accomplished so much. Most importantly it was so fun. Those girls are my family and I couldn’t imagine ending my high school golf career with anyone else.”

The Milford Girls Golf Team after placing second at the Jim Sander Memorial tournament (Photo courtesy of Milford Girls Golf Facebook).