Runners hope to continue win streak, build legacy

Emma Collison, Staff Writer

Spring sports are here and student athletes are ready to get back on the field, track and turf. After an unusual year in 2021 where many athletes had to quarantine and miss out for two weeks at a time, along with masks and completely missing their season a year prior, the Girls Track Team is ready to show off jumps, sprints and throws. The Milford Girls Track Team has been undefeated for 33 meets straight in the Lakes Valley Conference and hopes to keep that streak going and take even bigger strides this year. Despite being an underdog this season, the girls track and field program has big plans for this season to make it the best one yet. This year both girls and boys track teams are led by seven coaches: Coach Salyers, Coach Duke, Coach Ceresa, Coach Gilbert, Coach Hinkca, Coach Lawry and Coach Mickley.

Prior to this, Milford has never had seven track coaches at once. “With two head coaches and five assistant coaches we will be able to fill our events with quality athletes we have been accumulating over the past few months,” stated Co-Head Coach Saylers. This season will be a year of growth and opportunity for the team.

Two time all-state high jumper senior, Taryn Marshall hopes to qualify for high jump for her third time this upcoming season. To qualify for the state finals, Marshall must jump 5 feet 2 inches at the Regional meet. “My motivation is to just really enjoy my senior year, and to feed off the competitive energy around me.” she said. Marshall is a hard worker and plans on breaking her personal best of  5 feet 6 inches from last year. The high jump is a fun, complex event. It takes not only physical strength but  also mental strength to be the best you can be.

Audrey Verkerke, a promising junior with lots of talent, is a sprinter who runs the 4×4000, 200-meter dash and the 400-meter dash. She aims to break 60 seconds in the 400-meter and qualify for this year’s state finals. She must run a 59.30 time at the Regional to qualify for the state meet. “It will take dedication in order to get to the place I want to be and motivation is a key factor for me,” Verkerke said.

In the last few months, one of her good friends, Josie Duncan, was in the hospital fighting for her life. Duncan is also a track athlete contributing in the 4×400, 4×200 and hurdles. “Josie played a huge role on the girls track team last year, it makes me want to work so much harder when I keep her in my mind,” Verkerke said. Verkerke is a naturally driven athlete who is continuously motivated to improve her times every day at practice, workouts and meets. Brooklyn Wolcott, also a junior who participates in similar events to Verkerke: the 200-meter dash, 400-meter dash, 800-meter dash, 4×400 and 4×800.“I want to qualify for the 4×400 state final relay since our team of all sophomores missed qualifications by 0.9 seconds and have been working so hard in the off season for this moment,” she said. Last year’s 4×400 was made up by Wolcott, Verkerke, Duncan and Jacie Remtema, or better known as the “Sophomore Blonde Squad.” “I want to run my season for Josie since she was a huge part of our 4×400 relay,” said Wolcott. Look out for these two speedy track girls who plan on breaking new barriers and dedicating their season to their teammate and friend Josie Duncan