Detroit Pistons 2020/2021 season preview

Seb Naughton, Staff Writer

After going 20-46 in the 2019/2020 season, the Detroit Pistons are looking to make steady progress. Having the #7 pick in the draft was a great success. The Pistons drafted hopefully future NBA star, Killian Hayes. He is a French basketball player who was playing overseas as a kid, and decided to enter the draft. Killian is a point guard with great potential. Being 6’5, he’s got great size for himself, and is very quick. The way he attacks the rim off such few dribbles is crazy. Killian loves to score the ball, and does whatever it takes to win. The Pistons selected him #7 in the NBA draft. It’s very risky when drafting a player overseas. Killian didn’t play against the top college talent, but still played grown professionals. What people are concerned about is Killian’s turnover problem. Killian isn’t the best shooter, he would tell you that himself. With that being said, he likes to try to create plays for his teammates which is a good thing, but many times is very costly. Not all fans were happy with the draft pick however, Milford High School’s Trevor Leigh said, Personally, I think Killian is going to be a bust. When playing overseas in Europe, he had a bad turnover problem and couldn’t score the ball. He’s not the best shooter, so players can’t guard him tightly. In the NBA I think he’ll continue to turn the ball over and score less points.” 

The big story this summer for the Pistons was drafting Killian Hayes, but they made many more great moves. Seeking an entirely new direction. With just two one-and-done playoff trips, and a combined 164 games under .500 in the past 11 seasons, it made sense for new general manager Troy Weaver to make changes for 2020-21. He got busy as soon as he could, and now only four players return from last season’s core: Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose, Sekou Doumboya and Svi Mykhailiuk. Weaver took some grief early in free agency when it appeared he was trying to corner the world’s market of journeymen centers, and even more as big man Christian Wood, arguably Detroit’s most improved player last season, was signed and traded to Houston. This was very surprising and to many fans uncalled for, but Detroit needed to do something. The Pistons acquired Ariza, the draft rights to Isaiah Stewart (the No. 16 pick in the draft), cash ($4.6MM), and a future Rockets second-round pick.  

The Pistons have picked up some great talent over the offseason. Adding players like Mason Plumlee and Jerami Grant both from Denver, provide the team key role players for this year and the future.. The other rookies the Pistons have this year are draft picks Isaiah Stewart, and Saddiq Bey. Both players play the big man position and can be great in the future learning from the Pistons star Blake Griffin. Isaiah, coming from Washington, had a very impressive senior season. He was dominating the floor, while averaging 17 points and grabbing 8 rebounds a game. The fans are very excited to watch them both play, hoping Detroit made the right decision. 

Luckily, after having one of the worst seasons in years, the Pistons were not too far behind from making the playoffs. Pistons veterans Blake Griffin, and Derrick Rose are both looking to add on to their great career resume, and win some games in their final years. “I like the fact that we kept  Blake and D Rose. They are both great players who can teach the younger players. Both of them have been to the playoffs and been on championship contender teams. They know what it takes to win, and the advantages and disadvantages.” Senior,  Anthony Wing stated in an interview on the Pistons upcoming season.

As the season starts fans can’t wait to see this new Pistons team play. Fans are saying how they have hope this year, and can see their team getting into the playoffs. That is the #1 as fans. The fans want to be able to support a winning team. “I believe this year will be solid for them,” said Senior Ben Coloske. “They picked up a great group of players, and have had one of their best drafts as a franchise they’ve had in years. The only thing that has been missing over the past couple years is a spark of confidence and playing ability, but I think this draft class will be that spark.”

Just two weeks into the season the team is struggling with only one win, but it will be fun to watch the young players improve during the year.  Fans are hoping this is the year of change. It’s been years since the Pistons won a playoff series, and fans would do anything to see them in the playoffs.