Milford athletes upset as winter sports postponed due to COVID

Detroit News

Governer Whitmer describing the new COVID-19 precautions as cases rise.

Savannah Wood, Staff Writer

Moving into the second semester of school, students have been faced with another roadblock and have been put back into online learning until at least Jan. 25th. On Nov. 15th, Governor Whitmer acted upon the rising cases of the coronavirus and postponed high school winter sports, as well as closing in-person learning at high schools and indoor dining at restaurants. For students who usually drive their cars in the snow to go to a meet, game, or competition to play the sport they love, there are more questions than answers.  How long will it really take to go back to normal? How long will it take for students to have a normal school year? Will sports be altered this winter? The coronavirus has impacted everyone and athletes are concerned about what lies ahead.

As winter sports and activities came to a halt, students are practicing through Zoom calls. That in itself is not the same as playing, and students are feeling the pain. “Honestly, I feel really upset,” explained Junior Bailey Pietraszkiewicz.“It definitely takes away one of the most fun parts of dance, which is getting to see and dance alongside my friends, and obviously makes things a lot more difficult in terms of choreography and what not because it introduces a lot more challenges, like Wi-Fi problems and flipped cameras. I am thankful that dance is something that we can continue to do at home because I know for a lot of other sports, they can’t really continue their season online!” Dance is a sport that focuses on synchronized movements; Pietraszkiewicz and her team won’t have the normal season they were hoping for, at least to start the year.

Milford basketball expected its season to start sooner than later, but it has been suspended. To get better as a team, practices are very important and needed for this sport. Senior Joe Bjorkman spoke about his feelings on this situation: “Obviously I was disappointed when I heard the news, but I’m just looking to use the time off to prepare and get better before the season,” he said. “I’m trying my best to keep a positive outlook and do my best to do my part by wearing my mask and stuff so we can get to playing as soon as possible.” The Milford basketball team has worked hard over the past few years and strives to keep this momentum for generations to come.

The Competitive Cheer team (as well as pom/dance) has also faced struggles before with seasons being postponed in the fall for football season. The transition from fall to winter is never easy, but it is even harder than ever, especially for a sport that focuses on sharp movements, flexibility, and weight training. Postponing this season with the team’s first competition approaching in January puts a huge dent in teaching the material for three-rounds, each about two minutes.

“Having my last and final season being postponed is devastating,” explained Senior Emma Dittrick.  “I have been growing with my team since I was a freshman–we have had many goals…we were going to reach higher goals and go to States this year, but having a minor setback won’t change my team’s attitude and hard work this season. We will continue to improve on our own and come together at some point. We still have our goals in mind and will continue to reach them. As a senior, I will take in this moment to get better and work hard with or without my teammates.”

Winter sports have been postponed–they have not been canceled–but do we know for sure that student athletes will be able to play and take part in the sports they love? Seniors are distraught, shocked, and hurt to not know the answer. Athletes are sitting on the edge of their seats, biting their nails to find out what their seasons are going to look like. Will the cases of the coronavirus rise or fall in the State of Michigan this winter? Will online practices work? The coronavirus is taking over students’ lives and making it harder and harder for students and athletes to learn and play the sports they love.