Freed continues baseball career at Lawrence Tech University

Daniel Onofrio, Staff Writer

For most seniors, when they take the field for spring sports in two months, they know it will be their last time putting on the uniform. That’s not the case for Harvey Freed.

“I always knew that I wanted to play baseball as long as I could, even if that meant playing in college,” said Freed, a 6-foot-2-inch senior baseball player.

Freed  is currently committed to Lawrence Technological University (LTU) in Southfield, Mich. to play on the baseball team.

“I really enjoyed the coach and the facilities when I visited the campus and that’s why I chose LTU,” said Freed.

Athletics were not the only reason Harvey chose LTU. He is interested in studying and acquiring a degree in Construction Engineering Technology and Management; LTU has a great program and environment for students to learn and grow their careers.

Freed has been playing baseball since he was 6 years old and said he has never not enjoyed playing.

“I love the sport and hanging out with friends make it the best way to get rid of stress from school or anything that’s going on.”

Freed is about to enter his last season on the high school baseball team.” I’m very excited for this season, because I am finally the older kid on the team and I am hoping to become one of the team captains, so I can lead and motivate the kids I have been playing with for my whole life,” said Freed.

Last season was Freed’s first year on varsity and this upcoming season will be his second.

Last year was a impressive season for Freed where he had a batting average that was roughly around .375 and added a grand slam to his stat sheet too. Freed is also catching attention with his pitching when he was recently clocked in at 87 mph.

On the field, he plays first base, third base and then he tops it off with his best position, pitching. Harvey is also a pretty solid hitter and when he was recruited by LTU, he was very intrigued to go there when they told him that they liked all the aspects of his game, “I chose LTU out of the other schools that asked me to play baseball, because they asked me to come play at all three positions and they would give me a chance to hit as well,” said Freed.

Teammates also has a lot of great things to say about Freed on the baseball field.

“He is a great player, he really is one of the few guys that the coaches will find a way to put on the field,” said sophomore first baseman Steven Grigereit.

Freed hopes to continue his academic and sports career successfully through his first year in Southfield as part of LTU’s 2022 class. Go Blue Devils!