Milford fights ’till the end

Injured player Kyle Soderberg cheers on team from the sidelines.

Stevenson Sakalian

Stevenson Sakalian

Stevenson Sakalian

Stevenson Sakalian, Video Manager

Screaming fans and the referees whistle marks a new beginning for the 2017 Milford Football Program. This year, the team finds itself under a new coaching staff, headed by Dan Novak. After Tim Gough’s 4-23 record over the previous 3 seasons, fans are eager to see the direction Coach Novak will take this team.

“Our [students’] attitudes kind of remain the same, all-out all season basically,” said senior and student section leader Nic Glazer. “We support our boys, win or lose.”

Stevenson Sakalian
Varsity Assistant Coach Shada talks to Milford quarterback Aiden Warzecha.

After a rough 1-5 start, Milford Football continues to work toward ending the season with more wins. When asked about new head coach Dan Novak, Chase Tabor, student and dedicated Milford Football fan, said, “I definitely noticed that he made the team and the community more confident. He is bringing new ideals that the players live by and will continue to do so.”

Stevenson Sakalian
Student section leaders Jack Robertson and Chase Tabor cheer on the Milford Mavericks.

The team has seen improvement each game, working its way from being defeated 48-0 in Game 1 against Waterford Mott to a battling 49-35 loss against WL Central in Game 4.

“It’s getting better every game,” said senior varsity football player Brian Gorny. “Our schedule is really heavy upfront.” Milford was finally able to achieve its first win, 24-8, against Flint Kearsley during the Homecoming football game. With many players making big plays in the last game, including touchdowns by Chance Murray, Josh Harris, Jon Porter and an even total of 100 rushing yards by running back Christian Koschke, Milford players hope to continue making plays in Game 7 against rival Lakeland.

As Milford enters rivalry week against the Eagles, spirit is high and intense.  Both schools take to social media in an effort to intensify the buildup to gameday. As Milford rallies around their team and builds up support for their end, Lakeland attempts to bring down their rivals with an air of extreme confidence. The atmosphere only intensified as The Milford vs. Lakeland game was voted the Channel 955 High School Takeover game of the week.

“People are heavily underestimating us,” said Junior and running back for the Milford Mavericks Jon Porter. “I’m confident it will be closer than people think.” With Lakeland having a 4-2 schedule, both schools are excited to see if the intense tone that comes along with the rivalry game will have an effect on either team’s performance this Friday.

• Milford fights ’till the end

Features

Stepping-Stones To Long-Term Service

• Milford fights ’till the end

Sports

Kicking in a New Season

• Milford fights ’till the end

Sports

Michigan looks to build on its success; MSU hoping to rebound

• Features

MavPack shows a new wave of appreciation

• Sports

Powderpuff returns to MHS

• Milford fights ’till the end

Features

Mr. Flynn’s “Jeopardy!” dream comes true

• Milford fights ’till the end

Features

Under The Friday Night Lights

• Milford fights ’till the end

Sports

Mavericks volleyball team avenges last year’s loss to Northern

• Milford fights ’till the end

Features

Milford celebrates Black History Month

• Milford fights ’till the end

Features

Sophomores visit Holocaust Memorial

Milford fights ’till the end