Mavericks volleyball team avenges last year’s loss to Northern

The+Milford+Volleyball+team+kicked+off+conference+play+with+a+win+over+Walled+Lake+Northern+in+5+sets.+

The Milford Volleyball team kicked off conference play with a win over Walled Lake Northern in 5 sets.

Dan Onofrio, Assistant Sports Editor

The noise from the MHS Fieldhouse was echoing through the hallway. With a rowdy student section, equipped with their new “Spandex Supporters” shirts sold by the volleyball team, the atmosphere was intense last Tuesday, Sept. 12, as the Milford Mavericks took on the Walled Lake Northern Knights, the team that knocked them out of the District playoffs last year. After waiting 10 months, this year’s Mavericks took the Knights to five sets and dramatically won the game.

“The student section was really big and crazy and it was the best feeling having such a spirited crowd cheering us on,” said Senior volleyball player Maddie Appleton.

Hoping to attract more fans to the game, the team is selling T-shirts to the student body.

“The shirts are really cool and I think the name ‘Spandex Supporter’ on the back is funny,” said Senior Parker Smarsty. If interested, you can still purchase yours from any volleyball player!

The Knights defeated Milford last year in districts and this year they moved to the new Lakes Valley Conference with Milford. Northern lost a good amount of skilled seniors, but the team still had not lost before facing the Mavericks. 

Many students brought funny signs and wore “Spandex Supporter” shirts to support the volleyball team.

The game started at 6:30 p.m. and Milford took the first set, 25-18. The second set started and it was a close set with both teams going back and forth. Northern eventually won the set, 25-20. The third set was a nail-bitter that finished, 26-24, with Milford taking the set. The fourth set was a pivotal set for the Knights to win to keep them in the game. Northern eventually won the set, 25-20, forcing a final set.

The fifth set was a thrill-packed set with many kills where the student section became unglued,  flying as close as they could get to the court without having Athletic Director Jim Marszalek commanding them to get back in the stands.

The girls gathered together in between sets. The team won the last game, 15-11, to secure the match.

The set came right down to the end and finally Milford broke away and won, 15-11. The victory was a huge one considering it put Milford ahead of their rivals in the standings. 

Some of the top performers were Megan Wallace, who was a strong force up close to the net. Maddie Appleton ended the game with 10 kills and Mya Zeese helped finish the game with consistent serves.

“It was super exciting and I was happy to finally beat them after losing to them in districts last year,” said Junior volleyball player Morgan Phipps.

The Mavericks are 2-1 in the conference as of Sept. 20. The Knights won both of their other matches. 

With  creating a rowdy student section and building confidence for the rest of the year, the win against Northern was a perfect way to start the season off.  The Mavericks next play at Waterford Kettering. The next home match is on Oct. 2 against Walled Lake Central.