Michigan vs. Michigan State Showdown Preview

Noah Poser, Staff Writer

The big game in the state of Michigan is coming up. Tomorrow the two biggest football schools in Michigan match up for their annual battle. This one is particularly interesting because it is a rematch of last year‘s dramatic ending in which Michigan had the game all but won, until a botched punt attempt led to a Michigan State touchdown with no time left to win in the craziest finish of last season in college football.

The finish was a finalist for the ESPY for the most memorable finish in sports in 2015. Die-hard Michigan fan Mike Smith, a sophomore, remembers watching the play on his TV.

“I was shocked, distraught, flabbergasted,”  he said. Whereas David Brandenburg, a junior and a Michigan St. fan said, “I was shocked and super excited and I was screaming, and it was an amazing finish.”

Coming into this year, there was already tons of build-up for this game as both teams were assumed to contend for the Big Ten title. Some of that has diminished as Michigan State has a 2-5 record through seven games and doesn’t look at all like they have in recent years.

Also, going against them is Michigan at 7-0 and ranked number 2 in the country behind only Alabama. They certainly look like one of the best teams in the country. They also have one of the best players in the country in the all-around dynamo Jabrill Peppers, who plays on offense, defense, and special teams. Peppers has even been discussed in the Heisman conversations that run rampant this time of year.

Although, it isn’t just Michigan fans who expect this game to go in Michigan’s favor. Avid Michigan State fan Dylan Riggs, a sophomore, said, “As much as I hate to say it, I think Michigan will win. They just have a lot more talent and Michigan State just doesn’t have the leaders that they’ve had in the past.”

Michigan State started strong at 2-0, but are now in the midst of a five-game skid that gained plenty of attention when they allowed 54 points to a Northwestern offense that has been anemic for the majority of the season. They are also in danger of not even playing in a bowl game.

Although, just because it looks like Michigan has this one in the bag right now, you can’t count out Michigan State. Their coach, Mark Dantonio, is bound to have them ready for this rivalry game. Not to mention, Michigan State has dominated the series of late, winning 7 out of the last 8, despite Michigan having the overall edge in the all-time series with a 35-26-2.

No matter what you hear, good or bad about this game, nothing excites more than a great rivalry with a deep history. It’s sure going to have the people all over the state of Michigan in a frenzy over this big game.