Milford High Celebrates Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Sydney Rice, Staff Writer

Cancer, unfortunately, finds its way into many lives, and this month is dedicated to those lives. October is a month chock-full of ribbons and the color pink. Communities celebrate together to honor those who lost the battle of breast cancer, as well as those who are fighting and recovering.

Every year Milford High School recognizes the month with fundraisers and events at the school. This year the school store had a sale on all pink merchandise to encourage students to wear pink to show their support.

The Milford Volleyball Program also had a pink-out game on October 6 to honor those who fought the battle, including new varsity coach: Nancy Mckouen.

¨We all knew that this was very important to her, because Nancy almost never cries and we moved her to tears¨, senior captain Lexi McFall stated.

The varsity team, wearing their pink jerseys, gave McKouen flowers and a banner at the beginning of the game. The girls also chose someone important to them to ¨play for¨ who had lost the battle to cancer.

Emily Lowe, senior, decided to play for 3 family friends and relatives for the game.

“The game was important because we played for a very real purpose, for somebody else and it made it a special night”, Lowe stated.

¨This was individually important to each of us for the game¨, McFall said, ¨We all know someone who has, unfortunately, lost the battle.¨ Each player made a poster for who was important to them.

The volleyball program also organized a fundraiser to take place during the game. They sold shirts and raffle tickets, and the proceeds of about $700 went to 5 Points of Hope. This is an organization based in the community of Milford that is non-profit.

Many schools in the nation support the month by having silent auctions, raffle tickets, donations, and other fundraisers. Communities, including Milford, put on events like runs, walks, and volunteering.

On http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-support, you can donate, fundraise, or partner to help those affected by breast cancer. October 21 is also National Mammography Day, where people can donate $100 to support those who cannot afford it.

The goal of Breast Cancer Awareness month is not to call attention to the disease itself, but to encourage people to know the steps to take when you or a loved one has cancer. It also influences people to be aware of the symptoms of signs of breast cancer.

Breast cancer is the most common cancer for women, next to skin cancer. Luckily, the numbers of survivors has shot up due to early detection and improvements in the treatment.

The American Cancer Society is an organization and website where you can learn more about the symptoms, options, treatments, hereditary effects, and ways to possibly prevent breast cancer in men and women.

During all months of the year, you should take all preoccupations to take care of yourself and family members when it comes to cancer. October is just a friendly reminder.