Milford Girls volleyball looking to finish strong

Carly Apple, Staff Writer

Milford Varsity Girls Volleyball is having a strong start to its season. After going undefeated in the KLAA last season, the girls new it would be tough to top this year. Starting out with a new coach has been challenging, but the team seems to be working together and pulling out wins. So far, the girls varsity team has 5 wins and 3 losses in the KLAA.

“The girls were learning to work together as a team because when they do play as a team they play very well,¨ Milford senior Sydney Phipps said.

rsz_img_4794Some of the girls have been playing together on varsity for a couple years, including Lexi McFall, Sydney Phipps, and Maddie Appleton. Each of the girls contribute something unique to the team.  

¨I contribute positive energy and I want to provide an example for the younger girls on the team,” said McFall.

Appleton, does whatever the coach tells her to help the team out.

“I played a completely different position in the game against Howell, and we won,”

The ‘Milford Mav Pack’ student section also has a big impact on the girls’ games and how they play.

“It makes us more excited to play, and allows us to work together on the court because we don’t want to let our school down,” McFall added. “Having a big crowd makes it fun to play. I love hearing my friends cheer for our team. Playing home games is a completely different atmosphere than playing away games. It makes the team more ‘hype’ and makes us try harder.”

However despite their success, the team has experienced has experienced some adversity. The girls varsity team lost its old coach, Mary Dent, and got a new one, Nancy McKouen. Players said McKouen has the same work ethic as the old one, so little has changed because she previously coached the Milford junior varsity girls volleyball team. McFall was also asked how it affected her and her team and she said “It wasn’t a big deal for me personally because she has been coaching me forever. It affected our team a little in the way practices are run.” McKouen, the new coach, still has the same expectations as the old one.

Despite the obstacles that the team has faced so far this season, the girls are expecting to pull through and have an amazing season. The team has a pink out tonight as they host Grand Blanc. The varsity begins at 6:30 p.m.