Girls track team looks for three-peat

Ryan Swindlehurst, Sports Writer

Spring 2016 is here, and with that there is the new season of track for the Milford girls team. After winning two consecutive division championships, the girls team looks to defend their back-to-back titles.

This season is looking like a promising one for their team. Although they lost five of the 20 top scorers from last season, two of which were all-state, and one state champion, they feel they have a fresh addition of talent and are ready to be a top contender in the division.

The freshmen class looks to be a promising one for this season, including some that will lead the way. Four of the top freshmen include Abby Knapp, Victoria Heiligenthal, Paige Saiz, and Morgan Phipps.

The girls will be led by many returners including Gabrielle Byndas, Mallory Barrett, Brynne Gustafson, Breann Marsh, Eve Hemingway and Elexa Cary.

There will be plenty of competition in the KLAA.  Brighton, Walled Lake Central, Walled Lake Northern, Waterford Mott and Lakeland will be the top competitors this year.

Competition will be stiff for the girls this year. Although they are the reigning champions they are not favored to be division champs in 2016. That crown belongs to Brighton. While Brighton is favored, recent history may show that they have it all wrong, and Milford may be hanging up another banner after this season.

Even after losing some of their top talent from last season, they look to be back strong and should be able to be a top three team in the KLAA West.