Go Blue or Go Green? MHS students debate the big game

Tim Forkin, Sports Writer

A heated rivalry among sports fans in this state is always the University of Michigan Wolverines versus the Michigan State University Spartans. Many Milford students and teachers have strong feelings about the two schools, and when the two football teams meet at Michigan Stadium on Oct. 17, they expect their favorite school to come out on top.

“Watching Michigan lose makes me happy,” said sophomore Nic Glazer. “I would rather them lose every game.” Many Michigan State fans are passionate about their team for many reasons. Some students have liked MSU as long as they can remember, and others became fans because of family members.

“I like Michigan State because we’ve got a great coach, and we’re a family,” said freshman Nolan Rand. “Michigan is not a family.”

Michigan State fans at Milford like many players, including Connor Cook, LJ Scott, Shalique Calhoun, Madre London, Jack Allen, and Malik McDowell.

“Coach Mark Dantonio has top notch philosophies. They do things the right way,” said Leadership teacher Mr. Gilbert. “I don’t hate Michigan. I would rather have MSU ranked No. 1 and Michigan ranked No. 2” While some students dislike Michigan with a passion, the majority of MSU fans said that they do not dislike Michigan.

Michigan has enjoyed a recent surge of wins under new head coach and former QB Jim Harbaugh. This has many Michigan fans believing that MSU’s run of 6 wins in 7 years is over.

“Are you kidding? It’s a pride thing,” said senior Michael Varlese on why he likes the University of Michigan. 

Michigan fans at Milford High School like consider many different players their favorite player, including Jake Butt, Desmond Morgan, and Kenny Allen, but their is an overwhelming enthusiasm for sophomore defensive back Jabrill Peppers.

“He’s a playmaker,” said sophomore Aiden Warzecha. Peppers was ranked as the third best high school football player in the nation in 2014, according to Rivals.com. While some fans were indifferent, the majority of Michigan fans said that they did not like Michigan State.

“I hate MSU with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind,” said junior Johnny McKolay. Some students said that their family went to Michigan, and others started liking the team when former standout player and current NFL running back Denard Robinson played there.

No. 7 Michigan State comes into the game with a 6-0 record after escaping with wins against Purdue and Rutgers in the last 2 weeks. No. 12 Michigan comes at 5-1 after 3 consecutive shutouts against BYU, Maryland and Northwestern.  In the first meeting between Jim Harbaugh and Mark Dantonio, each team looks to come out on top with a victory and the fans are excited.