Milford’s boys cross country team leans on younger runners

Jason Weaver, Community Editor

As the starter gun fires during a cross country meet, Milford’s traditional trend of dominating the KLAA in boys cross country may end as many of the team’s best runners are juniors and sophomores. This year’s best times are mostly coming from the underclassmen. The Milford boys have had plenty of success, with a 17-year division championship streak that was broken last year, but as they rebuild and look to the future, they are training and improving tremendously.

This  year’s motto, “Run Wild”stands for the freedom and passion of the sport, Head Coach Brian Salyers said. “(I want an) impact right from the get go,” said Salyers as he explains this year’s goals for this season.“ H wants his runners “to believe, to understand and lead.”

Before the team starts the season, the team clocked in a whopping 1,600 miles of practice running throughout the summer. A lot of these miles come during K-camp. This opportunity takes some students that have earned the spot to the Upper Peninsula to train and to connect with their teammates. This year’s music track consists of all “wild” theme. With high goals and high hopes, this helps the athletes prepare mentally and physically for the long runs they encounter during the season. K-camp teaches the team to not only have respect for your fellow friend, but to have respect for the team.

The boys suffered close losses against Lakeland, but beat Howell, with key runs from  Dakota Gilles and Josh Marianos,  As the season continues , the team will need to watch for Waterford Mott and Pinckney, Salyers said. Their placements in the division title are usually close to our own Mavericks. Marianos talked about the competition and the challenges that they face in a head-to-head race.

“It helps your drive and to put yourself out there,” he said.