Milford swimmers and divers improve times, scores

Sophie Phillips, Community Editor

Milford High School’s women’s swimming and diving team’s season is now in full gear as the lady Mavs try to prepare for the obstacles and successes this year will bring.

This year’s team is made up of 27 swimmers and 3 divers. This is an increase in the amount of girls from last year, which has shifted the team’s goals and strategies. The team has already improved so much this year compared to last year, Coach Kris Goodrich said. 

Being her fourth year of coaching, Goodrich said she hasn’t had to go back to “square one” and teach the strokes to the new swimmers, which had allowed the team to focus more on training and not so much time on the technique drills. The team as a whole is swimming a lot better this year, which in turn results in faster times as well.

“My biggest expectation for the girls this year is to give their best effort that they can do individually,” Goodrich said. “It’s always different every season, every team is different, every year, so as long as everyone is putting all their effort into practice, then that is what I would like to see.”

Camryn Niestroy, a sophomore swimmer, said part of what makes the team strong is the support and bond they have within the group. She said they are always cheering one another on whether in practice or at a meet and they are together and there for one another on and off the pool deck.

Niestroy said that bonding so close with the swimmers on the team has been an experience and she got to understand what teamwork really is about.

What I’ve learned is that teamwork is a simple and straightforward concept, but not necessarily easy,” said Niestroy “Some people work better together than others, and you have to find a way to get everybody involved and doing their part.”

Allie Crouse, a senior swimmer, said she is most looking forward to having fun and relaxing being that it is senior year, also looking forward to creating new memories and making the most of the season while she can. She is also excited to see how the new members of the team progress and incorporate themselves into the team.

“I’m looking forward to see how the freshmen develop and to see where they can end up helping the team,” Crouse said.

Allie Crouse said that even with the crazy swim schedule, she still found a way to manage her time between, swim, homework and her social life.

“Swimming has made me stay a lot more focused and taught me how to manage my time because I’m always doing something,” Crouse said. “I always have to go to practice or have a meet coming up so it keeps me on track.”

As the season picks up, the team will continue to work hard, Crouse said. She also said that in order to prepare, practices will begin getting more competitive and the team members will start to look at one another for mental support as the sport gets even more demanding.

“I am most looking forward to surprises,” Goodrich said. “I like being surprised by individuals who are constantly working hard and then that leads to great meets, either in dual meets or at the end of the season. When you see someone’s hard work pay off, that is one of the best experiences as a coach.”

The team’s next home meet will take place on Oct. 8th, at 6 p.m. against Pinckney.