Masks and going against the grain of society

The US population taking off their masks (Photo courtesy of Very well).

Abbigayle Gabli, Arts & Entertainment Editor, Opinion Editor

The anxiety many have towards the new shift in the world (Photo courtesy of New York Times).

After nearly 30 months, discussing the COVID-19 pandemic can be a burden as Americans have developed strong opinions all over the political spectrum; masking has become one of the main areas of disagreement. Amy Prescott, an English teacher at Milford High School for 17 years, is making her decision not only as an educator but as a mother. Prescott has been wearing her mask since the pandemic’s beginning and has decided that it is the correct choice for her and her family to continue doing so. “I would like to not get [COVID or] the flu, or a cold, or strep and last school year, I did not get any of those things,” Prescott said. By not having to use sick days, Prescott said she has been able to stay on course with her lesson plans and build relationships with her students. Breaking down how one chooses to protect themselves is up to personal interpretation. With the vast majority of students no longer wearing masks, some may worry that they may face judgment or even harassment for continuing to do so. Senior Madison Curtis fears that others would judge her if she wore a mask. “As the pandemic ends in some people’s minds, wearing a mask becomes an obscure thought to them,” Curtis said. Many people may see a mask as a wall and choose not to open their minds to the fact that where they see a muzzle that restricts their personal freedom when mandated, others may feel a sense of security in their environment. “It doesn’t feel like a sacrifice,” Prescott said. “I know for some people it feels very challenging or very frustrating; that’s not my experience; it feels more like a contribution than a sacrifice, so I am happy to do it.”Many students still wear a mask to protect others. “[It’s] not really for myself or my family, but I would hate to give COVID to someone who could get seriously sick from it,” Senior Tyler Paolucci said. Curtis was asked if peers influenced whether or not she wore a mask during the time that the mask mandates were being lifted. “I definitely felt more inclined to wear a mask through the influence of my friends,” she answered. “Not only was being safe important to me, but it is also their main priority.” A reason for their priority is that many scientific establishments still recommend according to the (CDC). “Masking is a critical public health tool for preventing the spread of COVID-19, and it is important to remember that any mask is better than no mask.” How can a threat just stop? Well, technically it hasn’t. On a weekly average, according to USAFACTS, Oakland County rounds out to about 278 cases a week. The death rate from these cases averages out to two deaths a week. Yes, these statistics are lower than what they used to be in 2020 and 2021 but they are not zero. In total there have been 4,129 deaths from COVID-19 in Oakland County alone. Unspoken anxiety is a consequence from the mask mandates that occurred in 2020 and 2021. When it began, masking was one of the main ways we as a population could protect ourselves from COVID-19. With orders to stay home and only go out if needed, stay six feet apart from others and mask in any public setting in the beginning. To now only have to mask inside doctor’s offices and get COVID tested when needed. The virus is invisible to the naked eye; it can be demanding for many to go from constantly having their guard up to mellowing it down on the protection front. That being said, retraining the brain is a difficult task; we were never able to see the threat and still, we were informed to take precautions to protect ourselves by medical professionals and government health officials. The use of vaccines for ages 6 months and up helps the spread of the virus slow down but not completely stop its spread. Cognitively comprehending this change can be extremely difficult. “I haven’t stopped wearing a mask completely,” Curtis said. “When I feel that my family’s and my health may be compromised, I wear a mask as a precaution.” Ultimately it is everyone’s individual choice how they face and cope with these difficult times. Some choose to mask whereas others have chosen to unmask. A quality many have forgotten over the years is respect. Respect how others choose to live their lives instead of placing judgment in unnecessary areas.