Students can earn a free Associate’s while still in highschool

Megan Fullmer, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Oakland ACE (Accelerated College Experience) is a dual enrollment program for sophomores in the Oakland County School District with a GPA of 2.3 or higher and a passing score in the COMPASS test that is taken during the application process.

The program is completely free, except for transportation to and from OCC. Textbooks will be provided by Oakland Schools, as well as free tutoring and guidance in the Academic Support Center.

Students in the ACE program will also receive support in weekly seminars, which are highly beneficial to being successful in the program. Seminars teach students a range of topics such as time management skills, how to pick a college, and even how to create an outstanding resume. Students can use these skills throughout their entire lives, and can go into situations being prepared rather than confused.

Hunter Craite, a member of the ACE program, states that “ACE is a great program for students who don’t feel challenged enough in high school and feel that they have the work ethic to handle college classes.”

Member of the ACE program,  Hunter Craite, poses in the science wing at OCC
Megan Fullmer
Member of the ACE program, Hunter Craite, poses in the science wing at OCC.

The program works by first having students in their junior year take half of their high school schedule and 2 or 3 classes at OCC. Then in their senior year, students will take 2 classes at their high school and more classes at OCC. And finally, students will spend their 13th year as full time college students.

Sophomores who are interested in the program can find applications in the counselor’s office, or on www.oaklandace.org.

Applications are due by Feb. 26, and must be submitted to their high school counselors. Parent information nights are held on Feb. 11 at the Orchard Ridge Campus and Feb. 22 at the Royal Oak campus.

The Compass test must be completed in March and in April students will receive a letter showing whether they have been accepted or not. Students who have made it in the program will have a meeting in May in order to receive further instructions and dates for the ACE program.

The members of ACE not only provide students with help in school, but they have also created a strong and friendly community dedicated to establishing strong and outstanding students.

By joining this program, students can gain not only 62 college credits, but also a major head start into their lives as successful individuals.