MHS teacher collects water for Flint

MHS teacher collects water for Flint

Alexandria Barron, Staff Writer

Flint, Michigan is a venue for abundance of different activities and areas including the home of Grand Funk Railroad, Kettering University and now poisoned, undrinkable water for the local residents.

You may have recently seen Flint appear frequently in global news as the water had been deemed undrinkable after the city switched its water source to the Flint River.  The minerals in the Flint River caused old lead pipes to leach, which has made the water dangerous for consumption.

Many residents are now protesting paying for the water and want their bills refunded. In the meantime, residents are relying on bottled water for drinking and bathing and it make take up to two years to make the water drinkable again.

Many people from around the country have donated water or money to the residents of Flint and MHS Teacher Terry Frikken has also made efforts to helping the people of Flint.

Frikken asked students and staff of Milford High School to donate unopened water cases to the people in need in the Flint area.

“This is not about politics,” he said during his 6th hour class. “I am not sharing my political views. This is about people having water to drink.”

Since Frikken has been open to donations, he has been able to make a stop with some friends to deliver almost three truckloads of water.

Student teacher Jen Marshman said, “It definitely shows his character, especially since Flint is not Milford’s neighbor.”

Many students have donated cases of water, and Frikken has shown that no matter who you are, you can make a difference for those in need.