Lakeland student section sings over National Anthem at basketball game

Tess Ware, Staff Writer

Tuesday night, Jan. 26th, was the Milford vs Lakeland varsity boys basketball game. Members of Center Stage were there to sing the national anthem before the game. They lined up in the center of the court to sing when the Lakeland student section and players put their arms around each other and faced the wall. When the choir started singing, the student section began to yell the national anthem over them. The Lakeland side finished singing before Center Stage did and then cheered and dispersed. The players started walking off the court before realizing that Center Stage was not done singing their arrangement and quickly walked back on to the court and stood until the end of the song.

“I tried to stay focused during the song, but I was surprised that they were singing over us. It definitely shocked me,” recalled Julia Schwendenmann, a Milford junior and three-year member of varsity choir.

Milford Principal Kevin McKenna tweeted a picture of the choir later that night with the caption, “Remember Mavericks, always with class! I’m more proud by your class and respect for others. Go Mavs.”

Students and teachers of Milford have been apologizing to the choir on behalf of Lakeland. Several teachers have discussed it in their classes, and addressed the incident.  

Lauren Johnson, a Milford senior three-year varsity choir member and senior class president said, “The student body was excellent, as soon as we finished singing the players said good job and apologized for Lakeland’s behavior.

In school the next day, students and teachers both were discussing it and several people apologized for Lakeland. We really appreciated them recognizing what happened and giving us the respect we deserved.”

“They knew it was not appropriate and the incident has been addressed,” McKenna said. “As administrators we need to be respectful of all groups and so do the students.”

Lakeland and Milford administrators are currently working to put together a group of Blue Crew Student leaders to come to Center Stage and discuss the incident with them sometime next week during third hour.