Milford High School takes on Spring Break

Sophomore Jordan Parker enjoying her vacation in Fort Meyers, Florida (Photo courtesy of Jordan Parker).

Emma Giese, Assistant Editor

As springtime comes around, it’s time for Milford friends and families to start planning their spring break trips. Christmas, New Year’s and Valentine’s Day have all passed, and for many, the dreary weather of February and March makes for the most depressing time of year. SATs and AP testing are all coming around the corner, leaving students counting down the days until spring break. 

Families throughout the Milford community visit multiple destinations whether it’s for relaxation, visiting family, or making fun memories with their soon-to-be graduating peers Many Michigan residents are looking for somewhere warm and sunny, normally down south. This year, Milford students have some fun and interesting places they’re visiting!

Jordan Parker

Freshman Jordan Parker usually visits her grandparents in Fort Myers, Florida for spring break. This has always been her favorite trip of the year, as she’s been visiting ever since she was born. “It feels like a second home to me,” says Parker. However, due to Florida’s most recent hurricane, the house they normally stay at has been severely damaged, forcing them to visit a different part of Florida. Hurricane Ian has hurt more than 30,000 homes in September of 2022. Real estate developers have discovered a completely ‘blank canvas’ in hard-hit coastal areas (NPR news).

Her family has decided to travel to Key West instead. Her parents have always loved Key West and say that it’s similar to Fort Myers. Parker also has an uncle down in Key West who has a house. Parker will be traveling with her sister, brother, her mom and her dad. She’s most excited to watch the beautiful sunsets and explore new places, as it’s a place she’s never been before. As much as Parker is excited for her trip to Key West, if she could go anywhere for spring break she would choose the Bahamas due to its “natural beauty and extremely warm weather, which is what I like in a spring break trip.”

Addison Brill

Sophomore Addison Brill has visited Orlando and Clearwater Florida as well as Virginia in past years to visit family. She’s always loved going to Florida, especially Clearwater because of its fantastic downtown stores. She explained how there are many unknown places one can find and explore there. But for this year’s vacation, she’s going on a Cruise from Miami all the way to Jamaica. 

She’s traveling with her mom, dad, aunt, and her grandma. There will be multiple islands they stop at and visit, including Grand Cayman. Brill is most excited about this trip because of the different cultures and excursions they will get to experience. “I’m most excited to swim with Dolphins and zip-line over the ocean,” said Brill. If she could go anywhere in the world for spring break, she would want to go to Greece. “The old buildings seem so interesting and the food looks amazing. I also want to see in person how clear the water is.”

Ruth Walter

Senior Ruth Walter has also visited Florida in previous years, specifically Clearwater and Orlando. But this year for her senior spring break, she’s decided to travel to Outer Banks, North Carolina. She’s traveling with her best friend, Ashely Spangler and her family. Walter and Spangler have known each other since 1st grade, making them excited to spend this time together before they graduate. 

Walter is going to the Outer Banks because there are lots of fun things to do there, like renting beautiful houses on the Atlantic Ocean. It’s also an added bonus for Walter that she loves the Netflix show, Outer Banks. The new and upcoming season of Outer Banks comes out a month before they’re supposed to visit, so she’s excited to visit the destination where the show takes place. Walter is most excited about this trip because it will give her and Spangler time to spend together before they go away to college. 

As Walter is attending either Northern Michigan University (about a seven hour drive from Milford High School), or The University of New Mexico (about a 23-hour drive from Milford High School) and Spangler is attending Tiffin University (about two hours from Milford High School), it will be hard for the two to spend quality time together after they leave MHS. So this trip will allow the girls to form a deeper bond as they leave for college.

If Walter could go anywhere for spring break, she would choose her exact trip this upcoming year. “We always do such fun things together like riding bikes, cliff jumping and other fun memories,” said Walter “I wouldn’t want to spend my spring break with anyone else.” 

Jaclyn Dierkes

Senior Jaclyn Dierkes visited Orlando, Florida as well for her trip last year. She’s always loved these vacations because she’s able to visit her grandparents who live there as well as visit all of the parks that are there such as Universal Studios. 

But this year, she’s decided to travel to Grand Cayman for her senior spring break. She’s visiting with a group of her best friends from Milford High School. They’ve all decided on Grand Cayman because it’s a new place for most of them to explore and because they’re all able to stay in one house together. 

Dierkes is looking forward to this trip to try new things.  “I’m most excited to get out of my comfort zone and try new things like parasailing, snorkeling, swimming with stingrays, etc.” If she could go anywhere for spring break she would go to any tropical island, which is why she’s so excited for this year’s trip.

Spring break is a time for fun, relaxation and a break from the stresses of life. A fun spring break doesn’t require traveling to a warm state or country, however, these students are excited about these opportunities. 

Many of these students are traveling somewhere warm to enjoy the sun and water, as it’s the end of winter here in Michigan. But whether you’re traveling somewhere or not, make sure to take time for yourself and your family over this break, and most importantly have fun. Have a good spring break Mavs!