K9 Killers dominate the Top Dawgs during Powderpuff

Jerry Rea Photography

Senior Lizzie Thornton running with the ball as her teammates follow behind her (All photos courtesy of Jerry Rea Photography).

Anna Uphoff, Staff Writer

On Sept. 25 2022, Milford hosted its annual Spirit Week Powder Puff game. The “K9 Killers” (freshman and juniors) and the “Top Dawgs” (sophomores and seniors) battled against each other in the ruthless clash of the teams. With those bold names, the audience knew the girls were ready for a combative game. With the game concluding with a score of 13-2, the freshman and juniors claimed their victory against the sophomores and seniors.

In the first quarter of the game, Junior Allison Hooks ran 60 yards and scored the first touchdown for the K9 Killers. Another Junior Riley Mitchell scored an impressive touchdown in the third quarter, putting the K9 Killers at a far advantage. After Mitchell’s touchdown, Junior Leah Giese kicked an extra point and helped carry the K9 killers to their victory.

Senior Courtney Drew scored a splendid safety which gave the Top Dawgs their only points, but they could never get the offense going. The hard work and athleticism shown by these girls was admirable.

The coaches and referee (Rick Wank) put forth time and dedication into helping the game run successfully and smoothly. Boys from Milford’s football team stepped up, put in hard work, and coached the girls powderpuff teams relentlessly.

The K9 Killers coaches consisted of Tyler Freer, Brady Flannigan, Aidan Jacob, Ryan Allen, Mason Stislicki and Josh Parker. The Top Dawgs coaches were Jack Beyer, Nolan Ogg, Owen Stark and Ike Stufft. Drilling plays, practicing passes, and teaching the basic rules of football, these boys dedicated their time to creating two unstoppable teams.

“The most rewarding part of coaching the K9 Killers was the way they flawlessly executed our game plan,” Junior powderpuff Coach Tyler Freer stated. All the coaches expressed strong pride for their teams and held their chins up high, whether they won or lost.

Although the girls showed incredible grit and sportsmanship, many students showed concern over the amount of physical contact, and aggression between the girls on the field. “If one team is pushing you, it is instinct to retaliate,” Senior Lily Gatesman said. “I believe it was an equal amount of aggression from both teams, and by fourth quarter, Rick Wank had to pull us into a huddle and get us all into an agreement to calm down.”

“Any athlete is going to get competitive in this situation, and I think it got a little out of control,” Wank said. “We tried to stop this with personal fouls and asking the girls to calm down. We moved along as efficiently as possible.” Some students believe more could’ve been done to make powderpuff safer at Milford. “If we aren’t going to be given pads and helmets, they need to have more refs out there to prevent pushing and tackling,” said Senior Allison Schils.

From the turnout of 300 spectators to everyone involved on the field, Milford overall had an extremely successful powderpuff game. Milford ended up raising $1,500 for the junior fund, which will help the class of 2024 immensely.

The dedication shown from referee Rick Wank, the coaching football players, and the girls on the field was highly appreciated. The K9 Killers had an impressive victory and celebrated as a team once the game was over.

Although only one team could win, both teams of girls went home proud of themselves and were happy they participated. Milford High Schools 2022 Powderpuff game was both fierce and fun, creating an extremely entertaining and gratifying experience for everyone involved.