Milford Miracles: “Be the Miracle”

Dyana Rice, Features Editor

Morgan Freeman once said, “If you want to see a miracle, be the miracle.” With the holidays around the corner, many families struggle to keep up. Staying warm with Michigan’s cold weather can lead to high heating and clothing costs. From the high price tags to the responsibility of putting food on the table, it’s hard for families to provide the care that is necessary for this season. This year, Milford High School will “be the miracle” for families all around the community through its annual adopt-a-family fundraising program: Milford Miracles. 

This annual fundraiser is run by Milford Leadership and supports local families in need. With monetary donations, Milford Leadership is able to check off families’ wish lists that they send in each year. These wish lists and families are in contact with our school’s counselors. “It’s one of the best things we do here at Milford,” says Ella Warzecha, a Leadership student who has been a part of this program for three years. “It’s a great opportunity to help families in need that we don’t see from the outside and give them the necessities that we sometimes take for granted,” Warzecha continues. Milford High School officially started this fundraiser on Nov. 10-23. Donations were collected during all third hour classes and will be competing with each other for a grand prize determined by their teacher. Many students are excited to bring this great fundraiser back into action.

This year, Milford Miracles raised over $13,000! The top three donating classes were Mr. Gilbert with $2,729.64, Mrs. Wall with $1,216.01, and Mrs. Smith with $1,079.84. Congratulations to these classes and all who participated. 

Milford Miracles has been around for decades. It was originally managed by the Spanish Club and language department at Milford High School. When it continued to grow, the Milford Leadership class took over. “This is such a great program for the school; we cannot let this die,” said David Gilbert, the Leadership teacher. Since then, the Leadership class has had much success. Gilbert had great intentions to bring this program back and grow it to become one of Milford High School’s proudest accomplishments each year. 

Unfortunately, last year, COVID-19 restricted the school with Milford Miracles. “Last year with COVID-19 we relied on families themselves,” Gilbert mentioned. Individuals of the Leadership class volunteered to take families and shop for them with the donated money. “It’s good that we can put it back into students’ hands and let you guys be a part of it and feel it though the school,” he continued. From job losses to holiday responsibilities, these families can’t catch a break. “This program has allowed us to give back and let the whole school be a part of something not just for us like homecoming, but for the people in our community,” Warzecha states. Milford will help pick up the broken pieces for the families and make their winter a season of enjoyment, not stress. 

Through the Milford Miracles program, Milford Leadership will bring back the “miracles” of the holiday season. This program provides an overwhelming amount of joy to those families in need. “The feeling of wrapping presents and going to these people’s houses delivering the gifts is the best feeling in the world,” Warzecha says. For many, Milford Miracles is life-changing. With your help and Milford High School, families can enjoy a season of holiday joy and cheer.