Squishmallows’ rise in popularity

Senior Claire Adams and her sisters have expanded their Squishmallow collection to 143 stuffed animals; shown above is a portion of their collection (Photo courtesy of Claire Adams).

Riley Coesens, Editor in Chief

Squishmallows, loveable stuffed animals created by the company Kellytoy in 2017, have redefined the materialistic culture of individuals worldwide.

During the COVID-19 pandemic’s initial spread last spring, Squishmallows rose to fame on TikTok, where millions of people were intrigued by the concept of collecting and cherishing simplistic, soft toys. Labelled “Gen Z’s Beanie Babies,” hundreds of different Squishmallows have become staples and treasures in the eyes of those seeking to expand their personal hoards.

They come in the following forms: Hug Mees, Stackables, Mystery Squads, Flip-A-Mallows, and traditional styles; they also range in sizes, from three to 24 inches. Senior Claire Adams, who has acquired an astonishing 143 Squishmallows with her sisters, is one of many who fell in love with the plush animals from the beginning: “I first learned about them in 2018 when there was a bin of them at Costco and a big one was only $10, and I was like, ‘why not get a cute, squishy stuffed animal.’”

As the company struggles to restock its many retailer’s shelves nationwide amid the pandemic, people are more eager than ever to get their hands on a Squishmallow for themselves and their loved ones.

Regular, everyday people are becoming inspired to stalk cyber retailers for Squishmallow releases, as well as drive hours to select brick-and-mortar stores that happen to have an expansive stock of this booming product. This is due to a rise in ‘SquishTok,’ in which influencers show off their collections and record hauls of their latest finds–Charli D’Amelio is just one example of a figure paving the trend’s path for her followers. Each Squishmallow is individualized with a tag sharing the name and traits of the plushie, giving each one a persona that attracts certain individuals. Since the pandemic, more than 73 million have been sold, cultivating a worldwide fandom based on an item originally designed for only small children to cherish.

But why do people care so much about Squishmallows? Simply speaking, Squishmallows have served as more than a toy or a collector’s item; they have stimulated a sense of community among individuals during a time of isolation and upheaval.

The act of hunting for them is like a game or a distraction for others; as explained by Senior Sydney White, “I love the huge variety out there and just how cuddly and soft they are–I think they became really popular because there’s so many different kinds.” Squishmallows help to unify people in a common characteristic.

This idea can be seen in other past trends as well. For young people in particular, de-stressing items and fads can be a useful way for individuals to express themselves and relieve anxiety through the realm of social media. “I think that they became popular because they are very soft and squishy, and lots of kids were into huge slime trends a few years prior to 2018,” explained Adams. “Squishmallows are a cute and affordable stuffed animal that is almost like a stress-reliever because you can squeeze them and they will regain their original shape.”

A main issue has risen for Squishmallow fanatics, however: the availability of these toys is very limited, and has led many to purchase specific ones through resale apps, where prices have been inflated to accommodate sellers’ desires for exorbitant profits.

Others have turned to scouring their local stores, occasionally spotting a few plushies at random. Previously, they could be found nearly anywhere! “I first learned about them by an arcade game on a band trip,” Freshman Riley Morgan shared. “It was just a bunch of them in one claw machine, and that’s actually how I got my first one.” In past years, they have been easily accessible as birthday presents; for Senior Ella Glaspie, this was her ‘gateway’ into what has now become a pastime of hers. Some of Glaspie’s favorites that she owns include Abby the Octopus and Connor the Cow.

Squishmallows have become an international favorite, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic’s influence on peoples’ livelihoods. Individuals of all ages have come to enjoy collecting, giving, and receiving Squishmallows of all shapes, sizes, and designs, and it doesn’t seem like this trend will be suppressed any time soon.

Whether it is because of their cute patterns or the emotional positivity that they evoke, there’s a Squishmallow out there to appeal to everyone!