MHS Band program conquers final year amid COVID challenges

MHS band members gathered outside Walled Lake Northern High School before a performance at an away football game (Photo courtesy of Keeley Boynton).

Riley Coesens, Editor in Chief

Milford’s band program has aimed to continue its long-lasting legacy of projecting its sound and diversity in the community through its performances, despite limitations due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The group has battled with difficulties in adapting to safety enhancements and operations, as well as the elimination of its competitive aspects, but has preserved in maintaining its rigor and enthusiasm in making music. Though most of the year was centered around independent playing, its members found ways to bond and create lasting memories despite the altered day-to-day operations.

After over one year of untraditional rehearsals and cancelled performances, Milford Band Director Jacob Turnbow held the band’s first adapted live performance. “The band could not play together due to latency and it was difficult to teach music over Google Meetings.  We did our best but it was very strange to try and be a band remotely,” said Turnbow. “Our concert was a few weeks after the one year anniversary of shutting down and it was a thrill for all of us to return to the stage. Directing the whole year was not what I had planned on, but I am honored by the opportunity to usher the band through this pandemic and upcoming changes in its structure.”

This year marks MHS’ last year running its band program; next year, Milford will be combined with Lakeland’s program, led by Current Lakeland Band Director Bob Green. Both Turnbow and many senior members of the program were thrilled by the opportunity to perform together once more before their time involved with the band came to a close, and have found the shift in dynamic to be a positive. “It’s felt a lot more like a community compared to previous years, even with a lack of a real marching band season,” Senior Kendyll Klingensmith shared. “We’ve been able to connect over the hardships of such a unique year, which I think is very neat.”

One of the most noteworthy aspects for band members this year was the reinforcement of togetherness through COVID modifications. This year, there was no competitive season, after the “Children of the Corn” based performance season was cancelled; the football season show, “The Decades,” was also cancelled. In addition to filling out health screening surveys, temperature checks, mask-wearing, and social distancing contributed to a unique season. Investments for wind shields, bell covers, and instrument-friendly masks were made as well so that they could continue to play. “We were smaller and lacking in certain instruments, lacking in people to fill the field, and lacking in people to lift each other up,” said Senior Keeley Boynton. Problems such as lacking numbers and spacing were solved by switching roles of conductors and players when necessary, utilizing distancing as an advantage on the field, and magnifying group liveliness through spirit weeks, a band camp talent show, and playing music during stretches. “All of these things, combined with the uplifting spirits of our leaders alone, helped to make everyone happier during this very unusual season. Without band, my life would be less full. Band has given me a place where I belong and people to love,” Boynton shared.

Though they hoped to continue their competitive efforts from past years, this year proved to be useful in maximizing their shared interests as well as highlighting differences among members that made it increasingly inclusive and appreciative of one another. “[Band] has taught me to not give up when facing a challenge, and that if you set your mind to something, you can do it if you practice,” explained Senior Ryan Cleasby. “This year in particular has been especially fulfilling for this, as these principles have helped me in my day-to-day life and not just in my music career.” Together, players from all grades and backgrounds grew in their sound and community, even when things didn’t go as planned or as they hoped. “From this year in particular, I’ve learned to go with the flow more, and that more often than not expectations actually sour an experience from reaching its full potential,”
Klingensmith said.

The diversity present within the group was unified through the contributions of senior members. It was their responsibility to lead by example with humility and integrity, and enforce others to do the same. “The most important thing I’ve learned from band is that every person matters, no matter how different they are. Every person blends with the right amount of time and effort (both musically and socially),” Senior Jamee Arseneault said. “I’m one of the drum majors for the marching band–being a leader means helping people achieve greatness. My main purpose in life is to help people, and the other band kids are so thankful for it, which makes it all worth it.” Embracing individuality is critical in bringing people together and growing as one by redefining the dynamic of the group mentality as a whole.

Turnbow has seen students develop the program over the years, as he has faithfully served as a staff member since 2006 and as the interim director since 2017. With the upcoming changes to the band and its unified impact, he and current senior band members hope that the challenges overcome this year will provide experience and opportunities for students continuing their passion in band. “Band is a sample platter of experiences that you will encounter in life,” Turnbow expressed. “There are so many things that we do, learn, and experience that translate to a variety of scenarios that we run into in family life, careers, college, etc.  This year’s biggest learning experience was how to overcome a large merger as a band family, which will have a significant influence in how the program and students move forward.”