COVID Learning Adaptations

Photo courtesy of https://cdn.systweak.com/

For the first two weeks of the school year, students in the Huron Valley School District participated in a live, virtual classroom experience before attending hybrid school.

Sydney Hill, Staff Writer

COVID-19 struck in such a way that nobody was expecting it, and left us all to start from scratch to create learning in a new way. Students isolated and learned from home for the first three months with virtual learning. The year also started at Milford with two weeks of completely virtual learning and then moved to “hybrid-learning,” in which students still have three virtual days at home. However, learning virtually from home can bring many issues for some. Many students have difficulty with both comprehension and motivation through this learning model. Virtually learning isn’t for everyone, though there are some ways to be more comfortable in these new and different times. 

In a survey of ten questions, a group of five students from Livonia Stevenson, Milford, Lakeland, and the Huron Valley Virtual Academy, mainly stated that they were comfortable with learning from home, and that as long as they were in a comfortable environment, they were able to complete work and learn the most of the material. “So far, learning from home has been a lot easier for me,” said Sophomore Brynn Diehl, a HVVA student. “It’s not hard to stay motivated as long as you stay focused.” However, engaging in that work may not be as easy for some students. Working as a group or having the help of their peers and teachers in the classroom isn’t necessarily an option during these times. “I personally really dislike virtual learning,” stated Freshman Riley Tabaczka, a Lakeland student. “The online schooling is very confusing and not organized at all.” Many rely on the assistance of others to fully understand the information that they are provided. According to quizalize, it is important to keep students engaged and motivated in a creative way, that way students are more likely to remember and understand what they’re learning. 

The majority of students have had a much easier time learning virtually. Some said that they much rather prefer to be alone in a quiet space than a classroom full of kids. They found it much easier to stay focused on their work and get it done a lot faster. Some students have stated that it is much easier to stay motivated when one doesn’t have as much pressure to do the work. One may have a lot more time given throughout the day to get their work done and isn’t nearly as stressful as being in school. A Stevenson High School senior, Mia Colling, noted that one way they stay motivated is “through writing a list of their work down, that way you can go through the list to get their work done and stay organized all at the same time.” Additionally, some would agree that virtual learning is a much more efficient way of learning. The concerns of transportation, time management, and missed days are all solved by virtual learning. School can still be in session even through snow days, unsafe driving, bussing, and arriving late through virtual learning. 

All in all, virtual learning can be an easier and more practical way of learning for some, but these different ways of learning can affect schooling for others in a negative way. Virtual learning may be the future of education for students, and although it is different, there are some ways to help to get through it during these difficult times.