Is Milford DECA What You Have Been Looking For?

Kaye, Sommer

DECA members Anna Fischer along with Alexis Camilleri holding their state champion plaque.

Liam Foley, Staff Writer

Do you want to go into a career of marketing, finance, hospitality or management? DECA is the program for you. DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for their future career. With a nearly 75-year history, DECA has impacted the lives of more than ten million students, educators, school administrators and business professionals since it was founded in 1946.

DECA has a comprehensive learning programs that integrates responsibility, communication, and leadership skills into various aspects of a student’s life, including classroom instruction, applied learning, connection into the business world, and promotion for and against competitors. An integral component of classroom instruction is that DECA activities provide authentic and experiential learning methods to prepare members for college and careers. DECA members put their knowledge into action through rigorous project-based activities that require creative solutions with practical outcomes. Those activities include team role plays, individual role plays, professional selling, and written projects. In addition partnerships with businesses at local and broader levels provide DECA members realistic insight into industry and promote meaningful and relevant learning. A spark of competition drives DECA members to excel and improve their performance. DECA also prepares the next generation to be academically prepared, community oriented, professionally responsible, and experienced leaders. DECA members are ambitious, high-achieving individuals equipped to conquer the challenges of their aspirations. Recognizing the benefit of service and responsibility to the community, DECA members continually impact and improve their local and broader communities. DECA members are poised professionals with ethics, integrity and high standards and  DECA members are empowered through experience to provide effective leadership through goal setting, consensus building and project implementation.

Why should you join DECA? Milford High School senior and Head of Money Management for Milford DECA, Max Poser, commented, “DECA is an excellent program that gets you more involved with your peers and have a lot of fun doing so.” Milford High School senior and President of Milford DECA, Anna Fischer, also commented,    “DECA is an amazing real life experience where you could get to travel around the United States and meet a plethora of new people along the way.” Not only is DECA bliss but it also looks amazing on a college resume; many colleges have a similar DECA program if you wanted to continue after high school as well. Many employers of the marketing, finance, hospitality or management fields know about DECA and it is something they will enjoy viewing on your resume.

DECA is an amazing opportunity to take your education to the next level and improve your social circle. If you wish to join DECA then grab a sign-up sheet from Mrs. Sommer’s Classroom, room 321, at Milford High school and return it to her. But in order to join you need to pay $60 for future fee’s. The deadline for the return of sign-up sheet every year is before October 9th. If there are any questions about DECA then feel free to contact Mrs. Sommer or talk to peers that are apart of DECA.