Lost but not Forgotten

Class of 2019 remembers Cole Painter

Ms. Painter, Audrey, Cole, and Curtis Painter together  on a beautiful Fall day (Photo courtesy of the Painter Family).

Ms. Painter, Audrey, Cole, and Curtis Painter together on a beautiful Fall day (Photo courtesy of the Painter Family).

Michael Stevenson, Editor-in-Chief

On Nov.26th, 2016, Cole Painter passed away unexpectedly due to an unknown heart condition. His loss greatly impacted Milford High School and in particular, the Class of 2019. While he may not walk with his classmates, his presence is still felt every day and his legacy will continue at MHS after graduation. The following is a collection of memories from students who knew him well and wanted to honor him before graduation on June 2.

Jon Porter

“My favorite memory with Cole was when we went to the Michigan-Indiana football game. It was 35 degrees outside and we were both wearing sweatshirts. We also played some football at the tailgate. Cole always knew how to have a good time. He had the ability to make anyone laugh.”

Michael Marinucci

“Cole was one of those kids where no matter where you were he always made you smile. I still remember when he had the interception against Lakeland in football. We were down in that game, and he was able to give us the momentum back.”

Marcus Hayes

“My favorite memory with Cole was when we went up to Mackinaw Island.  I just remember all of the late-night fun we had together; from doing backflips off the dock to playing chess together; it was an all-around great trip. Cole was one of the best friends I’ve ever had. He had the ability to make everyone around him happy.”

Gunnar Gustafson

“The effect that Cole had on all people was something to marvel at. He knew how to positively impact others and could get anyone to have a good time. My favorite memory with Cole was when we biked up to Big Boy for breakfast. He complained most of the trip, but we had a great breakfast.”

Max Kurtz

“My favorite memory with Cole was when we went to the Tigers-Red Sox game together. It was a perfect day for baseball. We were joking around the whole time, and I almost broke his arm. Cole was one of the best friends that you could have; he was always happy and laughing, and he had a personality that I could relate to.”

Myles Durbin

“Cole was one of the most humorous people I have ever met.  I can’t remember a time that I was ever unhappy around him. He is one of the best friends that I have ever had. My favorite memory with Cole was when we went to Mackinaw Island together. It was a great trip, and I had a fun time. One of my favorite memories ever was when we were biking around the island; about halfway through, we stopped and went exploring. We found a small clearing with a beautiful view of Lake Huron. It was like a scene out of a movie.”

Matt Hockstad

“Cole had the ability to sense if someone needed help and was able to help them out. He always knew when to have fun and when to be serious. One of my favorite memories with Cole was when we went to the Breslin Center together. We went there for one of the Mike Smith presentations, and he was really the only one I knew on the trip. He purposely wore a Michigan sweatshirt. We learned a lot from the conference, and also got to know each other a lot better.”

Forever in our hearts, Cole Painter, Class of 2019