Former MHS students thrive while studying abroad

Bethany Buchanan

Picture by Bethany Buchanan of Hong Kong from her time studying abroad in Hong Kong and China.

Maggie Cooney, Features Editor

When Bethany Buchanan, a former Milford High School student, studied abroad in South Korea and Hong Kong, she had complete culture shock. She only knew how to say two words in Korean—hello and thank you. She was surprised when random people wanted a picture with her because of her blond hair. It was a brand new experience. But the surprises were part of the fun, and she thinks that others will feel the same way: “Prepare to catch the travel bug,” she said.

For many high school students, their main focus is on doing school work, participating in extra-curriculars, and getting to the next break. Many seniors and juniors are looking to college and being accepted into their dream school. Few students, however, are thinking about the opportunities that they could take advantage of in college, but now is the best time to do so.

One opportunity that students should start considering is studying abroad during college. A study-abroad program can mean a lot of things, but basically it is a program where college students go to a university in another country to study for a period of time.

There are thousands of different trips offered through colleges and other organizations for students to explore. These programs can be done while a student is in college getting their undergraduate or graduate degree.

Some trips will help a student complete their degree and can be done during a semester at school; others may not be related to a student’s degree and can be done over the summer, but there are a huge variety of opportunities throughout the year.

Spending time abroad changes a student’s perspective on the globalizing world around them, and it offers huge personal and professional benefits.

“Global experience is becoming more and more expected,” said Beverly Groth, a counselor at Milford High School.

Employers may be impressed by a person who has been around the world and has a global perspective. A summer abroad could put that student ahead of other job applicants and help the student land a dream job.

In addition, some study-abroad programs allow students to work in their field of study, which could give them a helpful international connection when they later enter that field. “You don’t know what doors it will open,” stated Groth.

Not only does time abroad expand a student’s professional opportunities, but its benefits are priceless to a student personally.

“The best part was probably just learning about the culture and realizing that the world is so very different than you’re used to,” stated Buchanan.

By seeing the world, a student can get out of her comfort zone and gain firsthand knowledge about how people in different parts of the world live. With this knowledge comes a respect for other cultures and other lifestyles which just can’t be learned in a dorm room.

Kara Jacoboni, another former Milford High School student and a Northern Michigan University grad, visited India and Chile and said that studying in India, “really allowed me to understand the world and how important diversity is.”

Lauren Presutti, a former Milford High School student, went on four study-abroad trips and said she gained “confidence in my ability to travel, understanding of other cultures, stronger appreciation for diversity, and enhanced communication skills.”

Besides her personal benefits, Presutti said that studying in another country really helped her studies at home. Because the university she studied at was so rigorous, she had to work even harder to earn good grades, which translated into an even better work ethic back in the States.

Every person has a unique experience when he or she is abroad, and there are so many personal benefits to visiting another country that can’t be described without going through the experience.

Realistically though, studying abroad can be expensive, and there are a lot of different programs to sift through before a student can find the perfect one.

Both Buchanan and Jacoboni said that one of their best resources was their school’s study-abroad office.

“The study-abroad office at GVSU [Grand Valley State University] does a LOT for the students,” said Buchanan, “They will basically counsel you individually to match you up with a program that will work for you.”

In addition to college programs, there are many organizations that work with students looking into studying abroad. Jacoboni did her study-abroad program to Chile through International Studies Abroad (ISA), which provided resources for her time abroad, such as a home stay.

Along with choosing from an overwhelming number of study-abroad programs, students may also have financial concerns. Careful research and planning now could make study-abroad feasible a few years down the road.

For instance, some programs offer experiences abroad on scholarship. One such program is the Schwarzman Scholarship, which sends students to China. And there are other programs like it that can be found with a little bit of research.

Presutti was able to go on all of her programs because of the scholarships she received. She now works advising college students on different scholarship opportunities.

Aside from applying for scholarships, it may also be important for students to start saving their money if studying abroad is a goal.

When representatives from different colleges come to Milford, a good thing to ask them is what kind of study-abroad opportunities their school provides. It may also be a good idea for students to start looking at college websites for their lists of different programs.

The first and most important step for students, however, is to simply put study abroad on their radar. “My advice for high school students looking into a study abroad program would be — DO IT!” Jacoboni exclaimed.

One thing that will surprise many students is how many people have experience with a study-abroad program or know someone who does. Ask around. Students may learn about studying abroad from someone they never expected.

Studying abroad is—from start to finish—an opportunity to learn about people and to understand the world, and it is an opportunity that every student should consider.