Christmas open house returns to Milford

Shelby Pryjomski, Photo Manager

It’s the most wonderful time of the year once again, and the city of Milford is promoting the holiday spirit. The Christmas Open House has returned once again and it was a huge success! There were many people from all around that came to enjoy the Christmas spirit in Milford, Michigan this winter season. There were a ton of fun events for people in Downtown Milford on Dec.r 1st. One of the very exciting things was a carriage ride. Riders were taken on a scenic carriage ride throughout downtown Milford and you paid by donation. Another thing you could do was shop downtown. The stores in downtown Milford were open a few hours later than normal so patrons could Christmas shop. a photo opportunity was also given for the little children to have their picture taken with Santa!

Planwallpaper.com

The Christmas Open House isn’t new though! It has been going on for years, “it has been going in for more than 50 years. The details of which are long gone, but it was most likely initiated to have a downtown celebration from the merchants to the home-town customers to thank them for shopping in downtown Milford, and to open their stores up for the seasonal events,” DDA Executive director Ann Barnette said.

While strolling the town on this wonderful evening there are many wonderful things to do. “The major things are: Carolers from local schools, strolling musicians, Santa arriving, horse/carriage rides, and in-store snack and beverages to welcome visitors,” Barnette said. One of the favorites of the night was the horse carriage. There was a wait line all night long! “I really enjoy this horse and carriage ride because it is something fun to do with the whole family,” Patron Julie McDiarmid said. Another cool thing about the night was that the Milford high school choir was singing christmas tunes all night long!

There were always many, many people attending this night! “Attendance varies each year, depending sometimes on weather, but it is usually a couple of thousand,” Barnette said. This night there were many people even though it was a very chilly night! “I enjoy coming to this every year. I have been coming since I was little, so it is fun to see how it has changed throughout the years,” patron Apryl McDiarmid said.

Static.kidspot.com.au

It is very safe to say that the Christmas open house of 2016 was a success! Hopefully the 2017 holiday celebrations will be even better!