College Night

Chase Tabor, Sports Editor

The annual event on October 5th at Milford High School, College Night, brings out many students who make a point of talking to representatives from several colleges and universities to plan for their future.

“There was a lot of students at the school,” said sophomore Nathan Grigereit, “a lot more than I had expected.” The Career Resource Center of both Milford and Lakeland High School hosted the event at Milford this year. College Night brings out high school students of all ages from both schools.

About 80 colleges/universities, community colleges, military branches, and financial institutes were present with information for students. “I asked them what the basic GPA and test requirements are,” said sophomore Bailey Hess. Many students including Hess went

to College Night just to receive pamphlets and basic info.

The most popular universities that students wanted to visit were Michigan and Michigan State, many students have aspirations to go to either of those two major universities. Senior Matt Jennings said “ I really want to get into MSU but I have gotten accepted into Oakland and CMU, I just can’t wait.”

For lots of kids the fact of moving on to college and possibly leaving home is scary and nerve wracking. Being away from home is stressful for upcoming college students and if they are able to talk to universities about the campus life. “ I really want a comfortable campus to walk around and relax,” said junior Courtney Fortin, “ it would just be different which is what I’m most looking forward too.”

Unfortunately at college night there aren’t many out-of-state colleges that students can learn about. Some students want to move out of state for college and at the event there aren’t many options for them. The furthest university from Michigan was Ohio State in Columbus.

College night also hosts the military academies which is popular with some students who look to protect and serve their nation. “I want to do what is best for my nation, fight for it.” said junior Brendan Anderson.

Every year college night is a success, many students from both Milford and Lakeland turn out from all grades. Simple information is a huge help for students who are interested in continuing their education in whatever means they choose.