Four staff members teach in China

Four Milford teachers on their way to Beijing (From the left: Pishek, Sommers, Evans, Weeks)

Alexandra McFall, Editor in Chief

Four Milford staff members took a trip to Beijing to teach for three weeks this summer. The group quickly realized how special this experience was going to be.

“They really liked us by the end because they felt like they could connect with us,” said Mrs. Evans.

Mrs. Pishek, Mrs. Sommers, Mrs. Weeks, and Mrs. Evans left on June 30th and came home on July 23.

The Chinese students are used to a non-American teaching style and it took some time for them to adjust.

“In the beginning, they didn’t show that emotion of excitement because school is so different there,” said Evans. MHS staff members taught from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and then they would have a break for 2.5 hours. In the afternoon, they taught from 2-4 p.m with their homeroom children. The classes were of the college level and taught in lecture halls.

“The students were really intrigued by the American teachers because we came off the stage and interacted with students,” said Pishek.

This experience was not only different for the Chinese students.  “For us as teachers coming from America, it was very different,” said Evans. “We would expect them to share with us and talk with us. We had to pull the information out of them. But by the end of the first week, they were typical teenagers.”

Sommers recalled a story about her teaching adventure. One day, Sommers gave out pieces of candy to students that answered questions. Her teaching assistant told her that she “was not being nice. If all can’t have it, one should not.” After that, Sommers changed her teaching so that if they all answered a question they all got a piece of candy.

After teaching, the group enjoyed walking and exploring the city. They would see grocery stores, markets, and tourist locations. Pishek mentioned difficulty with translation. Things such as food were translated, but the translations did not make sense and made it difficult to decipher what was being ordered.

“In Chinese it’s awful, I mean it’s just awful,” she said.“You never knew what you were eating.”

Every Saturday at 7:30, the  group of teachers left for an excursion. On their first Saturday, they toured the Great Wall and Silk Market. On their second Saturday, they visited Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden city, Pearl Market, and an acrobatic show.

”It was cool going as a group of four Milford teachers,” said Evans. “We have worked together, but we had never traveled or hung out together. We had so much fun. It was awesome. We were definitely good travel companions, the four of us.”

Evans said she would love to take on a similar experience again.

“I don’t know that I would want to spend three weeks in Beijing at the same hotel, at the same campus again,” said Evans. “It would be awesome if I could go somewhere else in the world and do it. I would definitely do that.”

Sommers was excited about going back or maybe going somewhere else in the near future to do the same type of thing, she exclaimed, “[she would go] In a second.” She is thinking about traveling to the United Arab Emirates or Thailand.

When describing her trip in a few words, Sommers said, “Totally amazing.” “

Crazy, smelly, and exciting. I loved it,” Evans said.

Pishek also loved the experience calling it,”enlightening, fascinating and fun!”