Teachers, students share embarrassing moments in the classroom

Alexandria Barron, Opinion Editor

With the amount of time educators and students spend together, embarrassing moments are bound to happen in the learning environment. Teachers and students have special moments daily, but some particular memories stick with staff and students forever.

It was normal day for Mr.McKenna, the current principal of Milford High School, yet that was soon to change. “I was still [a teacher] when a kid in a science class was messing around with a poster. I gradually leaned forward in attempt to move him out of the way, hitting the fire alarm accidentally, causing the whole school to evacuate the building.” Due to the situation and amount of people, he describes this as one of his most memorable teaching moments.

After the incident, McKenna was playfully teased by staff and students. “I thought I could never live this down.” The staff taunting was so extreme it went to the point of others leaving their extinguishers on his desk for him to notice later when returning to his desk.

Teachers have also had their share of embarrassing events.

English Teacher Mr. Hamilton describes one of his most memorable and embarrassing moments in the classroom during his first year of teaching. Hamilton described working at his desk, sitting in a flimsy, four-wheeled chair when a student approached him to ask a question. When Hamilton rolled back in a comfortable position, he lost his balance and flipped in the chair. This resulted with him landing on the ground in front of his whole class. Like one would assume, the class taunted and laughed with Mr.Hamilton. Although this is considered embarrassing for him, he describes the experience as an ¨icebreaker.¨

Even out of the classroom, attending a school event can even be embarrassing. Just ask Dakota Johnson, currently a sophomore at Milford High School, and he describes a mascot malfunction as completely “mortifying.” Nothing says fun like sports rivalry and school spirit, so at the Muir VS Oak Valley game, the Muir Mascot came out during the halftime to get the crowd pumped up and excited. While Dakota was dancing to rile up the crowd, he noticed his pants slowly falling down. He ignored this at first and kept going, yet the pants kept going down further and further until the mascot’s pants were fully down to the ankles. The crowd went wild as Dakota attempted to pull them up.

“It was funny looking back on it now, and it was truly a positive overall experience.”  The story proves in the most awkward situations, something memorable can be taken from all of life’s experiences.

There is nothing more beautiful than young love, but not for Jason Weaver, who was caught kissing a girl in the hallway when assistant principal Mr.Dziobak was pacing quickly up and down the halls. Dziobak noticed Weaver and stared at him with utter shock. Eventually Dziobak started to laugh and he gave Jason a thumbs up. Jason says, “It was so embarrassing, but I am truly glad he laughed and didn’t give me a detention.”

Jordan Misaros used to go to a school where there were a large age gap, meaning she was one of the oldest of many children. Jordan’s favorite substitute was working in the classroom as she was overjoyed, but not for long. Jordan started feeling sick and she ran to the substitute´s desk and threw up all over, “It was even worse because my dad knew the teacher.”

Even though some of the most memorable moments in our lives may be considered embarrassing they are still worth telling. Stories that happen in the classroom stay in the classroom!

Many schools offer programs that often provide an unforgettable experience, and teachers usually attend as well as students. On an MHS trip to Boston in 2014, Mrs.Hill as well as the other students were on the bus near a wood shop on their way to the Boston trip´s next location. This is where in the middle of the road near the wood shop where a very large groundhog seemed to be blocking the path. In attempt to clear the path, Mrs.Hill was allegedly hitting and poking the groundhog with a stick in attempt to move the animal. A video was taken of the incident and later posted on many forms of social media. Lauren Johnson, who currently has access to the video, laughs as she watches it saying, “It was the funniest thing ever!”

In conclusion, some of the best memories from the classroom do not come from a textbook, but with the experiences schools provide like meeting new people and trips.