Career center offers college and career field trip opportunities.

Tess Ware, Staff Writer

Huron Valley students can now sign up for two college and career field trips. The first field trip is to the Oakland Community College Highland Lakes Campus in Waterford, Mich. on Wednesday, March 2.

Students will take a tour of the campus, have free pizza provided by the school and take the required COMPASS tests for math and English. This is a free field trip for students attending OCC next year. The school will only take 35 seniors.

To apply, students must go to the OCC website. The deadline for the online application is Feb. 19 and students must have their social security number in order to apply. Students must also sign up in the Career Center and get a permission slip, which is due Feb. 27. Students can apply online through OCC website. 

Students will meet in the career center at 7:40 AM and leave at 7:50. All students must have some form of photo I.D.

“I love this field trip because it’s a great opportunity for students to do everything they are required to do for college without having to make separate appointments,” said Granroth. “It makes it a lot easier for students.”

The second field trip is the Michigan Construction Career Days Field Trip in Howell, Michigan on Thursday, May 5 . This is for students interested in careers in construction. They will hear from speakers and also have the hand-on opportunity to operate some machinery.

It is a joint trip with Lakeland and each school will be taking only 15 students, grades ninth through 12th. The field trip is free, but students must bring their own bag lunch or money to purchase food at a fast food restaurant on the way home.

To sign up for this trip, students must go to the Career Center in the school’s Media Center and sign up with Mrs. Granroth. Students must also get a permission slip signed by parents and turned in by April 27.

Students attending the trip must meet in the Career Center at 7:15 AM. The bus will leave at 7:30 and students will return around 1 p.m.