Five magical activities to get you in the holiday spirit

Sadie Davis, Assistant Editor

Sometimes as we get older, it can be easy to forget the magic that the holiday season entails, and we let ourselves take such a merry time of year for granted. There are a few simple things you can do to bring your spirit up or share it with those around you. Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate, and take a look at this list to get an idea of what you can do this holiday season.

1. Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland – If you haven’t been feeling much in the spirit this year, heading to Frankenmuth is one way to get there. Bronner’s is the world’s largest Christmas retail store. This is the type of place where you go in for one thing and come out with a receipt as big as Santa’s list. With thousands upon thousands of different ornaments, lights, trees, and anything Christmas-related you can think of, it is such a good way to spend time even if you don’t buy anything!
  2. Ice Skating at Campus Martius Park in Detroit – For a unique experience in downtown Detroit, visit this rink! It could be a perfect date with someone special, an exciting night out with friends or a fun, family get-together that anyone can enjoy. Ice skating is just about as “wintery” as it can get, and it could be just the thing to do on our holiday break this year.
  3. Wild Lights at the Detroit Zoo –  Located in Royal Oak, the Detroit Zoo does a holiday special and sets up beautiful light displays throughout the park. Some of the different events include: 35 Magical Nights of Lights — where guests can enjoy the light display set up throughout the park and in shapes of different animals, Enchanted Trail – stroll through an immersive forest of lights and sounds to reconcile in the beauty of nature, Wild Lights Lodge – warm up with drinks, smores, and live entertainment, and more! It’s a perfect place to put you in a festive spirit.
  4. Bake Christmas Cookies – Baking and frosting gingerbread or sugar cookies are one of the most fun things you can do on a night in. Not only are they better than store-bought treats, but the process will create a long-lasting memory in the end, test your art skills and see how well you can decorate your cookie, don’t forget to save a few at the end of it all for Santa and Mrs. Claus!
  5. Return the favor- While it is fun to rack up new items and collectively open presents all week, the Christmas season is the prime time for giving — so give back to the people around you. Donate to toy drives and charities that are here for families and children in need. Additionally,  give back to your parents, siblings and friends, and thank anyone who has been there for you when you needed it. Give a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah to the people who matter most, and don’t forget to have a happy holiday season!