Radium Girls sends off seniors with incredible show

James Thomason, Arts & Entertainment Editor

There was an overwhelmingly positive response to the Milford Theatre Company’s winter play production because of the outstanding performances from many members of that cast. It was a rare and moving show that captured the audience in a poignant way, and it will, unfortunately, be the last for a number among the cast.  It’s amazing to hear what they had to say about MTC’s program and its cast.

“[MTC] made each of my days better,and boosted my confidence when I was performing,” said Taylor Manley, who played the lead Radium girl Grace Fryer.

Sammy Reed the lead costumer for the show added, “ I will miss the people the most.”

It’s sad to see so many talented actors leave such a supportive program. However, they did go out with a bang. Radium Girls drew in one of the biggest crowds MTC’s ever had for a winter production with 550 to 600 people.

Radium Girls brought tears to many of the patrons´ eyes. The show was loved by many of the attendees. Several science teachers even offered extra credit for attending the show.  To their surprise, many students enjoyed the show too.  Many people commented on the set, lights, and stunning performance by the leads.

“I thought it was great, and the lighting was really cool,”said Cami Munce, an MHS junior who attended.

The show also delivered an important message about the crimes that big business can often cover up. This was an especially important theme considering the recent issues with the city of Flint’s water.  The donations from the cookies in the lobby usually got to MTC, but this year all proceeds were given to the city of Flint to buy water. Many people recognized the connection. There was also an information center in the lobby that helped with the historical background with the real Radium Girls, and the city of Flint. It’s amazing the message that MTC delivered through their production this year.

The seniors will be dearly missed. The absence of their talent will also be felt by the entire community that supports the performing arts. And after the performance this year they will without a doubt be remembered. Theatre Director Megan Weeks said that they are welcome back anytime, and will be sorely missed. Many of these actors have devoted four years into MTC  to build their talents and to culminate an amazing final production.

“My favorite part of performing is the rush you get, when the lights come up on you and you step out onto the stage,” said Johnson.

These graduating seniors have set the bar high for next year’s musical and winter play. Hopefully, MTC can continue bringing important messages through entertainment and creating a loving and beneficial environment for all the high schoolers involved.

“I love the way the theatre impacts people,”said senior Lauren Johnson who played Ms. Reoder.  I’ll miss the atmosphere the most. I can’t say I’ll ever be able to be part of a group like this ever again.”