Center Stage and Choraleers gearing up for annual pops concert

Center Stage “Coffee In a Cardboard Cup”

Tess Ware, Staff Writer

Center Stage and Choraleers are now preparing for their annual Pops concert, set for March 18 and 19. The theme this year is Livin’ in America, chosen for the opening number by James Brown.

Mr. Kynast will be the M.C. for the show, he will be ‘modeling’ multiple suits from Gina’s Bridal, telling jokes and introducing the performers.

Sets include songs by Irving Berlin and American composer Stephen Sondheim. There will be a wide range of music from musical theater to jazz to pop.

Some classic american songs by artists like Elvis Presley and Simon and Garfunkel will be performed by smaller groups.

Both Center stage and Choraleers will be featured separately and together, as well as multiple men’s barbershop pieces and combined dance numbers of the women of Center Stage and Choraleers from shows like 42nd Street and Dream Girls.

¨We feel really prepared. Iḿ so proud of how we’ve improved and how good we’ve become.¨ Said Sierra Milbrath, Milford junior and Choraleers assistant dance captain. ¨Everyone has put so much into this show and Iḿ excited for how it will turn out.¨

Each song is tied into the theme of America. Some songs are patriotic, others are written by American composers.

The show will include a Disney themed set, with a Mary Poppins Medley and A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes by the Choraleers as well as solos from Hercules and Princess and the Frog.

¨This year we, as a program, have melted into one big family who love each other and try to make each day brighter for everyone.¨ Said Megan Waxman, a Milford Senior and President of Center Stage. ¨Everyone has so much energy in rehearsal. We have been working really hard for months now and seeing it come together is incredible, it should be a great performance.¨

The last set of the show is called the ‘Historical set’. It includes multiple songs from The Civil War: An American Musical, the other songs focused around the ‘American Dream’ and critical points in the history of America.

¨I think Pops is not just entertaining, but it shows that we have pride in our country. It´s not just passion for our nation, but passion for us as a people.¨ Said Alex Lane, Sophomore member of Center Stage.

This Pops will be bittersweet for eleven students as it will be their last time performing in this show. With two seniors in Choraleers and nine in Center Stage each one of them has dedicated so much to the program and will be sad to leave.

“Being in this program has made me a more focused and driven performer.” Said Waxman, “I’ve learned to give more energy during rehearsal, it has helped me so much as a performer and given me a lot of great opportunities that I wouldn’t have had otherwise.”

Tickets will be available online at MHSperformingarts.com. Tickets are $8 for students and $10 for adults. There will also be a student section where students sit in a designated area and pay only $5 for their ticket.

There will be two evening shows on Friday March 18 and Saturday March 19 both at 7 in the evening. Each year there are two closed performances, one for the middle schools and one for the senior citizens. After the senior citizen show the performers will have a meet and greet with snacks and discuss the show with the audience members.

A special thanks to Mrs. Granroth for being the vocal music accompanist and learning and playing every song on the show. Another thanks to Miss Suzanne from Suzanne’s Main Street Dance for choreographing and cleaning numbers for both choirs.