Seniors have mixed feelings about coming back after prom

Seniors Lauren Jackson and Chloe Mobley at prom pictures 2022 (Photo courtesy of Lauren Jackson).

Chloe Mobley, Assistant Editor

While seniors are still in the building physically, most have checked out mentally after Spring Break.  Does anyone want to see them return to Milford High School after their prom?

We already know the majority of seniors don’t want to come back through the doors just to slug through the halls for their last couple of days.

Prom should be our last special moment together as a class besides graduation but now we’ll be clapped out after it.” Senior Reagan Allen shared her opinion on the change in schedule.

Traditionally, seniors participate in the last day of school activities that are prepared for them, such as the Senior Video, breakfast and clap out on the last Friday before Memorial Day to get ready for the night that they’ve been waiting for their whole lives: Senior Prom.

This year most of these last day activities will occur on June 1, after Prom on May 27.

This means seniors will return for school after Prom for essentially only one full day.

In a normal year, seniors are done with school before Memorial Day weekend.

Then, Prom takes place that weekend at the Suburban Showplace in Novi.

“I’m glad we’re able to have Prom in a normal fashion at Suburban,” Principal Kevin McKenna shared.

He would prefer for all of the Senior last-day activities to happen on the traditional all-encompassing day, but it just didn’t work out like that this year, since Prom will be May 27 and the last day for seniors will be June 1,” he said.

Huron Valley Schools has the ultimate decision on when the senior’s last day is, and Prom has always been Memorial Day weekend.

With how much recent classes and events have been affected by COVID-19, many students are simply glad that Prom is beginning to return to normal, regardless of when their last day falls on the calendar.

Seniors will also be required, as always, to come back into the building after their last day to rehearse for graduation.

Some Milford High School Seniors are not concerned about the switch around and are focused instead on the many details of prom — like finding a date.

“Prom is Prom, as long as it happens,” senior Owen Berryman said. “I think it’ll be fun, if anyone needs a date, hit me up.” Berryman also shared that he thinks Prom being before the last day is totally fair.

Since school started unusually late, after labor day and on Sep. 7 this year, the final date they’ll walk through the doors for class this year will be June 1, after their Senior Prom on May 27.